John Climacus

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2012
      We ought to be on our guard, in case our conscience has stopped troubling us, not so much because of its being clear, but because of its being immersed in sin. ... A 'good' conscience is one that stands ready to convict oneself immediately with shame. There IS a difference between a 'good' conscience and a 'clear' conscience. The clear one can be dead or deceived.

      John Climacus, Ladder of Divine Ascent
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018511/john-climacus-the-ladder-of-divine