Our Daily Bread- Sharpening One Another

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2012
      READ: 1 Kings 19:19-21

      As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17

      Social networks on the Internet are on the rise. Even when separated by great distance, people are still able to gain insights and a listening ear from peers on-line. Blogs, Twitter, e-mail, and Web links add to the ways we can receive and give spiritual guidance.
      But it's also valuable to meet face to face with mature believers for mentoring. Elisha . . . followed Elijah� (1 Kings 19:21), and Paul mentored Timothy as a true son in the faith� (1 Tim. 1:2). He even admonished Timothy to set up a chain of mentoring which would multiply spiritual growth (2 Tim. 2:2). Moses exhorted parents to teach their children throughout their day: �when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up� (Deut. 6:7). The Master Teacher, Christ Himself, illustrated how to mentor: He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out� (Mark 3:14).

      From these passages we see the value of meeting face to face in a variety of settings so that we can sharpen one another spiritually (Prov. 27:17). Along life's journey, there are times when we can benefit from a wise guide or provide this same service to one who wants to follow. Dennis Fisher

      Lord, who could be my mentor? And is there a
      younger person in the faith I could help?
      Please lead me so that I might grow stronger
      spiritually and help others as well.
      We need each other to get where God wants us to go.