Our Daily Bread: Comfort in Captivity

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2012
      READ: Isaiah 39:5 - 40:5

      Comfort, yes, comfort My people! Isaiah 40:1

      On February 10, 1675, 50 colonial families in Lancaster, Massachusetts, feared possible Native American raids. Joseph Rowlandson, the Puritan minister of the village, was in Boston pleading with the government for protection, while Mary, his wife, stayed behind with their children. At sunrise, the settlers were attacked. After some of the settlers were killed, Mary and other survivors were taken captive.

      Mary experienced both kindness and cruelty from her captors. The Native Americans, aware of the religious nature of the settlers, gave her a Bible they had confiscated. Later she would write in her memoirs about God's goodness in bringing to my hand so many comfortable and suitable Scriptures in my distress.” God's Word was her great comfort until she was ransomed by the colonists on May 2.

      As the nation of Judah waited to be taken into captivity by a foreign
      power (Isa. 39:5-7), the despair of its people must have been great. But even in that dreadful anticipation, God's words brought comfort: The word of the Lord which you have spoken is good!” (v.8).
      Have you been taken captive by circumstances beyond your control? If so, read and meditate on the Word. And experience God’s comfort. Dennis Fisher

      Upon Thy Word I rest, so strong, so sure;
      So full of comfort blest, so sweet, so pure,
      Thy Word that changest not, that faileth never!
      My King, I rest upon Thy Word forever. Havergal
      God's Word is the true source of comfort.