Our Daily Bread: Winners and Losers

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2012
      READ: 1 Peter 3:8-12

      In lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Philippians 2:3

      As the NFL playoff game ended and the Green Bay Packers celebrated their victory over the Chicago Bears, my daughter Lisa noticed that her little girl, 4-year-old Eliana, was crying. That seemed odd, since neither of Eliana's parents particularly cared who won the game.
      When Lisa asked Eliana why she was crying, she said, I feel sorry for the Bears. They look so sad.

      Can we learn something from a preschooler about compassion? In a world where winning is so important and losers get rejected, forgotten, and maligned, we need this reminder: People need compassion. When we see others struggling with a loss are we willing to shed tears with them, put our arms around them, and offer to help?

      A number of Scripture passages challenge us to treat others with compassion. Philippians 2:1-3 tells us to think of others above ourselves, looking out for their interests not just ours. First Peter 3:8-12 reminds us that compassion means treating others as brothers, and Colossians 3:12-15 says that mercy, kindness, and humility are marks of those God has redeemed.

      Look around you. See anyone going through a difficult loss? Go beyond feeling bad for them. Reach out with compassion and God's love. Dave Branon
      Lord, grant me a heart of compassion
      So burdened for others needs,
      That I will show them Your mercy
      In attitudes, words, and deeds. Fitzhugh
      One measure of our likeness to Christ is our sensitivity to the suffering of others.