Our Daily Bread: Life Changing Choices

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 12:35 AM
      READ: Isaiah 41:8-14

      Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. Isaiah 41:10

      Champion athlete Eric Liddell's decision not to run on Sunday in the 1924 Olympic Games was not difficult because of his deep belief that the Lord's Day was for worship and rest.

      A more agonizing dilemma had come a year earlier when Eric was asked to speak about his faith in Christ to a group of coal miners. Liddell said of his struggle: My whole life had been one of keeping out of public duties but the leading of Christ seemed now to be in the opposite direction, and I shrank from going forward. At this time I finally decided to put it all on Christ after all if He called me to do it, then He would have to supply the necessary power. In going forward the power was given me.

      The day after agreeing to publicly share his faith, Eric received a letter from his sister, Jenny, in China. Written weeks before, it ended with this verse of Scripture: Fear not for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand� (Isa. 41:10).

      Every call from God is an opportunity for us to say Yes,� trusting His strength and not our own. David McCasland

      Lord, I'm fearful sometimes when You ask me
      to do something out of my comfort zone.
      Help me to remember that as I step out in faith,
      You will provide the power to obey.

      He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:24