Our Daily Bread:

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 8:37 AM
      READ: James 2:14-26

      Faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17

      Because of his arthritis, Roger could no longer handle the winters of Illinois, so he moved to tropical Bangkok, Thailand. One day he remembered his grandmother's favorite song, What You Are�: What you are speaks so loud that the world can't hear what you say; they're looking at your walk, not listening to your talk; they're judging from your actions every day.

      This song prompted Roger to feed the homeless who stayed along a half-mile stretch of road. Every morning, he served hot food to more than 45 families. Years later, one of the homeless women came to know Jesus as Savior and sought out Roger to thank him for introducing her to the love of Christ.

      In James, we are clearly told that faith without works is dead (2:17). It does not mean that works will result in faith, but that good works will affirm that our faith is real. It is easy to say we believe in God, but only our works can prove the truthfulness of our words. Abraham was an example of this. He didn't just talk about his faith; he demonstrated it by his willingness to give up his only son in obedience to God (James 2:21-24; see Gen. 22:1-18). And Isaac was spared.

      Today, how can we actively demonstrate our love for God and trust in Him? Albert Lee

      Faith is the power that prompts us to go
      And give to the hungering, bread�
      Faith means much more than a doctrine or two,
      For faith without works is dead. Woodrum
      What matters is not faith and works; it is not faith or works; it is faith that works.
    • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 22, 2013
        READ: Genesis 2:1-7

        The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his
        nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. —Genesis 2:7

        When God chose dust as His artistic medium to create Adam (Gen. 2:7), He
        didn’t have to worry about running out of material. According to Hannah
        Holmes, author of The Secret Life of Dust, “Between 1 and 3
        billion tons of desert dust fly up into the sky annually. One billion
        tons would fill 14 million boxcars in a train that would wrap six times
        around the Earth’s equator.”
        No one has to buy dust, for we all have more than we want. I ignore it as
        long as I can in my house. My reasoning is this: If I don’t disturb it,
        it’s not as noticeable. But eventually it accumulates to the point that I can no longer pretend it’s not there. So I haul out my cleaning
        supplies and start removing it from wherever it has found a resting
        place.
        As I remove the dust, I see myself reflected in the smooth surface. Then I see another thing: I see that God took something worthless, dust, and
        made it into something priceless—you and me and every other person (Gen. 2:7).
        The fact that God used dust to create humans makes me think twice about
        labeling someone or something worthless. Perhaps the very thing that I
        want to get rid of—a person or problem that annoys me—is the artistic
        medium God has given to display His glory. —Julie Ackerman Link
        Lord, too often I want to quickly ignore
        or dismiss difficult people and circumstances.
        Help me to be open to learn from
        You through them and to see Your glory.
        Being all fashioned of the self-same dust, let us be merciful as well as just. —Longfellow