The Olympics of Paul: those who run in a race imperishable crown

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 10:10 PM
      The Olympics of Paul: those who run in a race imperishable crown

      1 Cor. 9:24-27: Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. [The Corinthians knew of the Isthmian games held every two years near Corinth.]

      The athletes who compete in the London 2012 Olympics exercise extreme discipline in what they eat and how they train their bodies for years and years in preparation for the event. Paul compares himself to such an athlete. He subjected his body to extreme discipline so he may win “an imperishable crown.” Thanks be to God for the grace that is upon us when we choose to run the race as Paul did. For this, Paul left the past behind, and set his gaze on the prize. Luke 16:10 may help us understand Paul's self-discipline: He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. Let us begin with being faithful in what is least.

      Thankful for your prayers
      Shibu Luke Podiyan
      Washington,D.C