Our Daily Bread: Take Notice

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 10:46 PM
      READ: Ruth 2:13-20

      Blessed be the one who took notice of you. Ruth 2:19

      While standing in a checkout line, I was estimating my bill and trying to keep my son from wandering away. I barely noticed when the woman ahead of me shuffled toward the exit, leaving all of her items behind. The clerk confided that the woman didn't have enough money to pay her bill. I felt terrible; if only I had been aware of her situation earlier, I would have helped her.

      In the book of Ruth, Boaz became aware of Ruth's plight when he saw her gleaning in his fields (2:5). He learned that she was recently widowed and was the breadwinner for herself and her mother-in-law. Boaz saw her need for protection, and warned his harvesters to leave her alone (v.9). He supplied her with extra food by instructing his workers to let grain fall purposely (v.16). Boaz even addressed Ruth’s emotional needs by comforting her (vv.11-12). When Naomi heard about this, she said, Blessed be the one who took notice of you” (v.19).

      Are you aware of the needs of the people around you in your church,
      neighborhood, or under your own roof? Today, consider how you might help bear someone's burden. Then you will be fulfilling God's plan for you (Gal. 6:2; Eph. 2:10). Jennifer Benson Schuldt

      Help me Lord, to notice
      The hurting, sick, and lost;
      Guide me as I help them
      Regardless of the cost. Schuldt
      God works through us to meet the needs of those around us.