Malankara World Journal Issue 88 (August 2, 2012) is available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2012
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 88 (August 2, 2012) is available
      online at:

      This is a special edition for the Transfiguration Feast to be celebrated
      on August 6. The cover photo shows the Heritage Procession from the just
      concluded Family and Youth Conference of the Malankara Archdiocese of
      the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America at Emmitsburg, MD.

      The conference was well organized and attended with 3 days of jam packed
      programs - devotional and bible studies based on Romans 12:12, VBS for
      children, Breakout sessions for the youth led by two scholars from
      Coptic Orthodox Church, two nights of cultural programs, meetings of
      spiritual organizations, clergy and baskyomo meetings, sports, a
      professional entertainment program titled Comedy Talkies Mega Show, a
      very colorful Heritage Procession, and more. The highlight of the
      program was the Holy Qurbono conducted at the serene and colorful
      cathedral co-celebrated by H.G. Thomas Mor Theemothios, H.E. Markose Mor
      Chrisostomos, and H.E. Yeldho Mor Theethose assisted by the priests and
      deacons of the archdiocese. Especially noteworthy was the "choir group"
      led by Rev. Fr. Joy John, Rev. Fr. Varghese Paul and Rev. Fr. Saji
      Kuriakose. It was three days of serene peace and spirituality
      (Themothios thirumeni will call this pure bliss) capped by the partaking
      in the mysteries of the Holy Qurbano that provided nourishment to the
      mind, body and spirit. We offer our congratulations to HE Yeldho Mor
      Theethose, Archbishop of MASOC, and the Diocesan Council for organizing
      this great event.

      Table of Contents Issue No: 88 - Transfiguration Feast Special Edition

      1. Bible Readings for This Week
      Sunday, August 5 - Tenth Sunday after Pentecost
      Monday, August 6 - Transfiguration/Koodaara Perunnal

      2. Sermons for This Week
      Sunday, August 5 - Tenth Sunday after Pentecost
      Monday, August 6 - Transfiguration/Koodaara Perunnal

      3. The Feast of Transfiguration
      The Feast of the Transfiguration commemorates one of the pinnacles of
      Jesus' earthly life, when he revealed his divinity to three of his
      closest disciples by means of a miraculous and supernatural light. ...

      4. Featured: Fear of Light
      When Peter, James and John saw the glory of the Lord on Mount Tabor they
      did not run away but desired to stay and build three tents. As they saw
      Jesus transfigured before them they saw not only his glory, but also his
      mercy and love. If we meet him in the confessional, we, too, will see
      his mercy and love and will say with Peter, "Rabbi, it is good that we
      are here" (Mark 9:5). ...

      5. Peter on the Mount of Transfiguration
      In a way, there is a parallel between the experience of the disciples on
      this mountain (transfiguration) and our experience at public worship.
      Both are occasions of getting fresh understanding of who Jesus is and
      meeting with him in a special way. Perhaps there are lessons to learn
      from this incident that should mark all our gatherings in his presence.
      But it is encouraging to note that the experience of the disciples on
      the mountain followed their confession of Jesus as Lord, and so we
      having confessed him as Lord in our times of worship can anticipate
      receiving further insight from him as a consequence. ...

      6. They Saw His Glory!
      We sometimes hear people say, If only God would do something
      spectacular.. or even just something special.. I would believe in Him.
      Well, sometimes He does.
      He did something like this for Peter, James and John. They were very
      privileged men. They were present when Jesus healed the daughter of
      Jairus, they witnessed the agony of Jesus in Gethsemane, and they were
      privileged to see and hear amazing things on a mountaintop. ...

      7. The Feast of the Transfiguration in the Western-Syrian Tradition
      In the Western-Syrian tradition, the great feast of the Transfiguration
      of the Lord highlights with beautiful images the divinity of Christ
      manifested through his humanity. ...

      8. Poem: Transfigured
      We went up the mountain with Jesus,
      but quite unprepared for surprise.
      We never expected to see him
      transform right in front of our eyes! ...

      9. In The Shadow of Mount Tabor
      So what of our hearts here at the foot of this Mass? Do we see the
      majestic, the beautiful, the otherworldly Christ? If we have not yet met
      Jesus in such a way, if we have not met Jesus in a way that calls to us
      in the very depths of our souls, we must act. We must begin to live with
      Jesus, to talk with Jesus, to listen to Jesus in new ways. We must seek
      the face Jesus in the Sacraments- in confession and the Sunday Mass. We
      must ask Jesus to break through the deafness, to shine through the
      blindness of sin so that we may hear and see and be moved. ...

      10. Health: With Cancer, Patients Are First Line of Defense
      Often, it's not cancer that kills; it's the complications of cancer,
      says physician Stephen Garrett Marcus, a senior biotechnology research
      executive. Complications are common and become more frequent and severe
      if cancer progresses or spreads, he says. Spotting them early and
      treating them quickly can lessen their impact and save lives. ...

      11. Recipe: Courageous Cabbage Soup
      Served with a big salad, this soup makes for an interesting and filling
      evening meal. ...

      12. Family Special: A Child's Place
      Most of us wish lots of things for our kids. And often, particularly
      with Christian parents, knowing our children have a healthy relationship
      with God is somewhere on the list. Here's a hard truth for parents to
      swallow. You cannot guarantee that your children will become followers
      of Jesus Christ. And there is nothing you can do to guarantee that they
      will. But there are some things that you could do to guarantee that they
      won't. ...

      13. Humor: Secret to Happy Marriage

      14. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew