our Daily Bread: Bad News and Good News

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2012
      READ: Philippians 1:12-22

      I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel. Philippians 1:12

      Recently I had a conversation with a woman who had experienced a very difficult situation. The stress had affected her health, so she had to visit the doctor frequently. But with a smile on her face, she told me that she has been able to use this painful circumstance as an opportunity to share Christ with her doctor.

      In the book of Philippians, we read how the apostle Paul used his
      difficult situation imprisonment to preach the gospel. The Philippian
      believers were grieved because Paul had been arrested for preaching
      Jesus, but he told them that his bondage had actually turned out for
      the furtherance of the gospel´┐Ż (1:12). The whole palace guard and others knew why he was in jail because he preached Christ. Whoever came in contact with Paul heard about Jesus whether soldiers (who guarded him 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) or others outside. As a result of using his bad news to share the good news, some of the guards may have even become believers (4:22). Just because Paul was confined didn't mean that the gospel was confined.

      As Jesus-followers, we can allow our pain to be a platform to share the gospel. In our bad news, let's find an opening to share the good news. Marvin Williams

      We often think if life were smooth
      We would a better witness be;
      But God knows best that faith midst trials
      Can honor Him more powerfully. Cetas

      Pain can be a platform to share Christ.