MEANING OF MALAYALAM KOODASA SONGS 30

  • UT George
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2012
      Dear Friends

      WE WILL NOW STUDY THE MALAYALAM MEANING OF LAST SONG OF THE FIRST SUSROOSHA OF FUNERAL SERVICE OF MEN

      1 DHAI--VALMAJANE SASWATHARAJYATHASWASUM NIN

      DHA--SANNEKUKA DHARMIKA SUDHANMARODOPPAM

      My Lord, give peace and comfort for this departed soul with the company of your already departed holy and righteous group.It is ironical to note that any soul who does not want company of holy men or fellowship of righteous person while in this world, want it after death.Even drunkards here doesn't want their company of fellow drunkards after death.Our Lord who while in this world saw both kinds of death,spiritual death as well as physical death.In the Gospel of JOHN 8.44 HE blankly told to their face that those people who were living in sin and do not come forward to have a honorable faith in HIM are of their father devil.HE was speaking to their heart to mend their ways.So friends we will come forward to the company of people leading their life in such a way as to enter the holy abode prepared by our Lord as told by our HOLY fathers VARUVANULLA LOKATHINNAI NOKKIPARTHU JEEVIKYAM.This world and its pleasures are vanishing day by day.

      2 KA-LLARAYINNUM MRUTHARE YETTITTUDHANATHIL

      THE--JOMAYAMAM VASTHRUM NALKUNNONE STHOTHRUM

      Our Lord gives the garment of glory to His sweet heart bride and we believers are going to get it.We should be able to praise Him for giving to us as well as our dear ones the dress which our first father Adam lost when he sinned.

      3 DAIVATHAL PRESHITHANAM DHOOTHAN BHEEDIPRATHANAM

      SEE--KHRUM PRESHIPPICHEEDUMBOLETTUM KHORAN

      The next five stanzas are describing the process of death,how it slowly deaden body,mind,eyes etc.Psalm 90.3 says "YOU TURN BACK TO DUST AND CORRUPTION,AND SAY,RETURN,O SONS OF THE EARTH BORN".This is not the call at second coming,but the call to return to dust or physical death.The poet who compose the poem now tells about a angel --dhoodhan--got the command from the almighty God to take back the soul from the dead person whose funeral service is being conducted.The angel first of all when hearing the command was afraid and shocked.But angels are always quick and obedient to divine commands contrary to human nature.The angel took the responsibility and started his work.

      4 PA--PAM THEENDOYORALMATHE JAVAMINGETHIKKE

      NEE RENODUNNATHANNAGYATHAL KALPPIKKUNNU

      The poet says God who never make mistake ask the angel to take the soul of the person whom HE show to the angel by pointing HIS fingers.WE can meditate that there may be many persons with same name and physique and other similarities..When the GOD correctly identify and point by HIS hand the angel need not search about the identity of the person to be taken back immediately.Once the person is identified what the angel do?
      Java methikka---immediately brought

      5 DHOO--THAN THANITTEKEEDUNNU MRUTHIYIN SIKHA

      THA--DIKKUNNU MARANASTHRATHAL DRUDAGATHRATHE

      Even though the poet is meditating in his own language we believers can very well follow the poet as the song is biblical .Our God allows a process to take back the soul from our body. The angel is beating (THADIKKUNNU) means the process of death is already working in all of our bodies, the body gets aged or sickness affect the body,accident shatter the body,. . The soul and body are separated by the work of the angel .Some people think that God is responsible for accidents and diseases. It is not true.,Satan is responsible but God allows it for goodness, for the children of God.(Romans 8.28).
      What the dead person experience in his body?

      6 GATHRAMASSESHUM JWARAMAM DHAHANAN BHADHIKKUNNU
      VEDANAYALASTHIKALANNYONNYUM THIKKEEDUNNU

      Jwaramam--Pain

      Dhahanan--Fire

      The whole body experience the pain and grief and each of the bones pains.

      That is the pain of the body.What is the experience of our mind at the last minutes in this earth?

      7 SAN--KADA BHARAM CHITHARHE HA MADHANAM CHEYVU
      MUM--BIL KARYAM SARVAVUMONNAI VANNEEDUNNU

      Chithathe madhanum chaivu means "MANASSU KALANGUNNU", MIND BECOME SORROWFUL

      THE ENTIRE PAST AND FUTURE LIFE IS REVEALED TO THE MAN IN THE LAST MOMENT.That is why Esau the brother of Jacob cried at his death bed.Still he was disqualified to enter the blessedness of old testament saints.1 Corinthians 15.56 says, each sin is a sting at the sinners death bed.Sin is a pleasure first,then a pain after doing it and turned to be a pain full sting at death bed.Our holy fathers knew this and they preached against sin, but now, do the church appreciate messages against sin.?The truth is that a dead man can be buried but his sin cannot be buried.The only solution before us is to repent and pray for forgiveness while our mind is stable.

      The dying person slowly consume the' wine of death' that is death

      8 THEJO--RANTHRAM SUNDHARA NETHRAM MANGEEDUNNU
      CHUNDUKOL RANDUM MARANATHIN VEENJULKOLLUNNU
      ANTHRAM--holes here means sight of eyes vanishes and death prevails the body

      MANNALADHAMINE NIRMICHON THATHAN STHUTHYAN
      KRROOSIN PADAL REKSHICHONAM PUTHRAN VANNYAN

      The God who give us a chance to live in this world ,with our dear ones is great and we praise HIM for this.Our LORD JESUS who by His agony and death on the cross is sweet and praise worthy to us.He is alive to save us.

      Dear friends, how much meaningful and encouraging are our worship, prayers, songs etc.We all hope that our priests will understand it first and teach the laity the truth about life and death IN CHRIST.Bible should be taught thoroughly in each parish and people should be prompted for a holy life.

      We believers have the responsibility to understand the Bible from the teachers who has no other strings but to encourage people to know a dedicated life without deserting our church and tradition..

      We want peace in this world and heaven after death which our Lord will give us.

      We can begin Heaven in this world itself at our homes.

      U T GEORGE
      4177
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2012
        Dear Mr U T George,
        Thank you very much for explaining the meaning of hymns from the various services of our Church.

        Can you please help me understand the meaning of a hymn by Mor Jacob of Serugh, that is part of the mid-night prayers of the Monday of Holy Week.

        The hymn goes like this:

        Sarwadheeshan daivam thanee-thoppin naadhan
        Aapatheennum maanavare paripalikkunnu.
        Amoz-thanaya kola-nila-maayoree-thottathe
        Naadhan daivam maayichathinal vilapichalum.

        Based on how I understood this, here is my English translation of the above:

        God is the Lord of this Garden
        Protects mankind from dangers
        O Isaiah(son of Amoz) weep, for Lord God has wiped away this Garden; the field
        of murder.

        Now here are my questions:
        1) What is this `Garden which is a field of murder' (kola-nila-maayoree-thottam) ?

        2) When did our Lord God, wipe away 'this field of murder'?
        Is there kola-nila-maayoree-thottam Hades (Sheol) ? And is the reference to the harrowing of Hades by our Lord by his crucifixion and resurrection?

        3) Why is the son of Amoz (Prophet Isaiah) asked to weep over this ?

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M
        0929
      • UT George
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
          Mr.Mathew,

          This song book is not with me. Can you send the full text of the song then it will be possible.

          UT George
        • Sinu P. John
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2012
            Dear Brother Mathew,

            This poem refers to the Garden of Eden where God planted Parudeesa (paradise) and appointed Adam and Eve. This garden is many times referred same as the the Paradise where the souls of human will end up at the end, by many early church fathers such as, Mor Aphrem (AD306-373) and Mor Jacob of Serugh (AD 451-521). There was the tree of knowledge planted in this garden which covered (hid) the tree of life behind it. When Adam and Eve committed sins (broke the law), they were thrown out of this paradise (garden) and the angels were appointed to guard this garden. Mor Aphrem and many others early church fathers imagine the garden as a mountain instead of a plain land where the tree of life is situated on the top and tree of knowledge half way through the mountain. When Cain and Abel lived, they were still on the same hill but was on the bottom part of it (but below the guard by Angels). In Genesis 4:8 where Cain says to Abel "let us go to the 'valley'" (in Syriac translations; but in Septuagint and other versions it is mentioned as 'plain or field') is interpreted as the lower valley of this hill by Mor Aphrem. This is why the Garden is still considered garden of murder (kula nilam aya).

            However the terrestrial terms used for Paradise by St. Aphrem or early church fathers can't be taken in a literal meaning as it refers to an eschatological paradise which, for us to understand better uses the physical terms.

            When Adam committed sin, God threw away them from the Garden and kept the Garden from the vision of humans (nadhan daivam mayichathinal). This is what Adam and Eve and their progeny, including us, lost, that is, the Garden which was the paradise when they committed the sin (breaking the law).

            So the meaning of the song is that "The Garden -Paradise which was promised to the human being, the lower part of it where the murder happened (Cain's), was taken away from human beings because of their sins. So let us weep over those loss (which we lost)". The prophet Isiah was one among the prophets who was weeping for the people, especially Israeli's, on their sins.

            By crucifixion of Jesus, this barrier -that is the barrier where the angels were guarding the garden-is removed and those who participate in the baptism gets the benefit of crucifixion of Jesus (great sacrifice for the sins our forefathers committed) and will get the permission to enter Paradise, but based on how we live on earth or whether we break the laws again or not.

            Our goal is to get back to the same paradise from where Adam and Eve were thrown out. Jesus has opened the gate for us, but the question is, are we still eligible or able to get there? Let us pray and walk with God to enter there, because WITH God it is possible to get there. "Mathew 19:26: With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

            Regards and prayers,

            Sinu P. John, PhD
            Boston, USA
            Member ID:0076

            > Can you please help me understand the meaning of a hymn by Mor Jacob of Serugh, that is part of the mid-night prayers of the Monday of Holy Week.
            >
            > The hymn goes like this:
            >
            > Sarwadheeshan daivam thanee-thoppin naadhan
            > Aapatheennum maanavare paripalikkunnu.
            > Amoz-thanaya kola-nila-maayoree-thottathe
            > Naadhan daivam maayichathinal vilapichalum.
            >
            > Based on how I understood this, here is my English translation of the above:
            >
            > God is the Lord of this Garden
            > Protects mankind from dangers
            > O Isaiah(son of Amoz) weep, for Lord God has wiped away this Garden; the field
            > of murder.
            >
            > Now here are my questions:
            > 1) What is this `Garden which is a field of murder' (kola-nila-maayoree-thottam) ?
            >
            > 2) When did our Lord God, wipe away 'this field of murder'?
            > Is there kola-nila-maayoree-thottam Hades (Sheol) ? And is the reference to the harrowing of Hades by our Lord by his crucifixion and resurrection?
            >
            > 3) Why is the son of Amoz (Prophet Isaiah) asked to weep over this ?
            >
            > In Christ,
            > Mathew G M
            > 0929

          • Mathew G M
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2012
              Thank you very much.
              With this explanation, the hymn is a lot more meaningful.

              In Christ,
              Mathew G M