Isaac the Syrian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 25, 2012
      When you fall down before God in prayer, become in your thought like an ant, like a creeping thing of the earth, like a leech, and like a tiny lisping child. Do not say anything before him with knowledge, but with a child's manner of thought, draw near God and walk before him, that you may be counted worthy of that paternal providence that fathers have for their small children.

      Isaac the Syrian, The Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2940549/the-spiritual-world-of-isaac-syrian
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
        If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned
        about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe
        that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide
        for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why
        even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He
        will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes
        you.

        Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14020988/ascetical-homilies-of-st-isaac-the
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
          It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as
          to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some
          time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you;
          they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set
          against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts
          would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for
          quite some time.

          Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/15923112/therapy-of-spiritual-illnesses-3-volume-box?keywords=therapy