Request for resolution : Mathematical error in the Holy Bible : Book of Numbers - Chapter 3

  • George Vergese
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2012
      Dear Friends,

      Numbers 3 Verses 12 and 13 : And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;

      Because all the firstborn are mine; for on the day that I smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt I hallowed unto me all the firstborn in Israel, both man and beast: mine shall they be: I am the LORD.

      I understand this as God commanding that the Levites be dedicated to Him, in place of the first born in the Israelite camp.

      Book of Numbers - Chapter 3 : The total number of Levites add up to 22,300 through the sons of Levi (Gershon 7,500, Kohath 8,600, Merari 6,200). The number shown in the Holy Bible, however, is 22,000. Because of this, the number of first born among the Israelites at that time viz 22,273 exceeds the number of Levites erroneously summed to 22,000 instead of 22,300.

      For those additional 273 first born Israelites over the number (22,000) of Levites, redemption had to be made by paying 5 shekels of gold totaling 1,365 shekels. If the number recorded was done correctly at 22,300 this redemption would not have been required, as there would have been 27 additional Levites over the number of first born.

      Number Chapter 3, Vs 44 - 48

      And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

      Take the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the children of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of their cattle; and the Levites shall be mine: I am the LORD.

      And for those that are to be redeemed of the two hundred and threescore and thirteen of the firstborn of the children of Israel, which are more than the Levites;

      Thou shalt even take five shekels apiece by the poll, after the shekel of the sanctuary shalt thou take them: (the shekel is twenty gerahs:)

      And thou shalt give the money, wherewith the odd number of them is to be redeemed, unto Aaron and to his sons.

      God ordered this redemption. I am truly confused. (Google talks about Hebrew text / strokes used in numbers, etc. which caused this error. Not at all convincing). If this was so, God would not have ordered the redemption. Can anyone help?

      Warm regards

      George Vergese
      Chennai