Our Daily Bread- who is Behind It

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2012
      READ: 1 Chronicles 17:16-24

      Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights. James 1:17

      At a cultural show in Bandung, Indonesia, we enjoyed a wonderful orchestra performance. Before the finale, the 200 people in the audience were each handed an angklung, a musical instrument made of bamboo. We were taught how to shake it in rhythm with the conductor's timing. Soon we thought we were performing like an orchestra; we felt so proud of how well we were doing! Then it dawned on me that we were not the ones who were good; it was the conductor who deserved the credit.

      Similarly, when everything is going well in our lives, it’s easy to feel proud.

      We're tempted to think that we are good and that it is by our abilities that we've achieved success. During such moments, we tend to forget that behind it all is our good God who prompts, prevents, provides, and protects.

      David remembered that truth: Then King David went in and sat before the Lord; and he said: Who am I, O Lord God? And what is my house, that You have brought me this far?� (1 Chron. 17:16). David's heart swelled up in appreciation of God's goodness.

      The next time we are tempted to take credit for the blessings we enjoy, let's pause and remember that it is the Lord who brings blessing. Albert Lee

      No strength of our own, nor goodness we claim;
      Our trust is all thrown on Jesus name:
      In this our strong tower for safety we hide;
      The Lord is our power, The Lord will provide. Newton

      The hand of the Father is behind all good things.