Malankara World Journal Issue 80 (Graduation Special, June 7, 2012) is available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2012
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 80 - Graduation Special (June 7, 2012)
      is available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/Default.htm

      ---------

      May and June are the months of Graduation in North America. Graduation
      is a major milestone for our youth. Many of them will change their role
      from being a dependent under their parents to a wage earner supporting
      the family. Soon they will be looking at marriage and starting their own
      family. So, this is a major milestone for our families. This issue of
      Malankara World Journal is focused on the Family and Graduation. While
      taking a closer look at the youth, as exemplified by the graduations, we
      also take a look at the role of the older generation in our church in
      the focus article of the week.

      The highlight of many graduations is the Commencement address. Many of
      them provide valuable, practical advice to the youth. After pouring over
      nearly 50 graduation addresses, we have selected 3 commencement
      addresses to feature in this issue of the Malankara World Journal.

      I came across the following article that distills the best advices from
      the graduation speeches:

      Practical Advice From Graduation Speeches

      Find a mentor. Find a mentor and be a mentor. Give back. And when people
      tell you not to believe in your dreams, and they say "Why?", say "Why
      not?" - Billie Jean King

      You need to be absolutely paranoid about the currency of your knowledge
      and ask yourself every day: am I really up to speed? Or am I stagnating
      intellectually, faking it or even worse, falling behind? Am I still
      learning? Or am I just doing the same stuff on a different day or as
      Otis Redding sings "Sitting on the dock of the bay... watching the tide
      roll away" - David L. Calhoun

      Move to, or experience, a foreign country as early as you can in your
      career if you have not already. Go to China, to Southeast Asia, to North
      Africa, or to India. That is where the future is. - David L. Calhoun

      Know yourself and to your own self be true. You may find some day three
      or four years from now that you simply don't like engineering, or
      teaching, or architecture, or government, or the company you started
      with. You have little in common with the people you work with, and
      relative to your peers, you find your interest waning. At that point you
      have to muster whatever self-confidence you have, and every bit of your
      courage, and make the decision to do something else with your life. It
      is always better sooner than later, to make that call. - David L. Calhoun

      The way to be happy is to like yourself and the way to like yourself is
      to do only things that make you proud. - Mark S. Lewis

      Think hard about who you marry. It's the most important decision you
      will ever make. Devote yourself to your kids. Nothing else is guaranteed
      to make you happy. The only thing I'd add is, create a posse of dead
      people. Create an entourage of heroes. Put their pictures on your wall,
      and keep them in your mind. - David Brooks

      Just believe in yourself and you’ll do just fine. And, oh yes, don’t
      then forget to market yourself and your ideas. Use both sides of your
      brain. - Michael Uslan

      Source: Graduationwisdom.com

      My family had travelled to Phoenix, AZ last week to attend the
      graduation ceremony of our son, Capt. Dr. Jacob Mathew. We had an
      opportunity to spend a week there enjoying some sight seeing and a
      side-trip to Sedona, AZ. This week's cover photo of Chapel of the Rock
      was taken during that trip. I also spent an evening with Saju Skaria,
      his wife Shiny and their son. They were the perfect hosts. Saju, as many
      of you know, is a member of the Diocesan Council of the Malankara
      Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America and the
      Director of the Patriarchal Center Project. He is also one of the
      founding members of our church in Phoenix, AZ.

      Next week's issue, God willing, will be dedicated to Fathers, as we
      celebrate the Father's Day on June 17.

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World
      ---------

      Table of Contents Issue No: 80 - Focus on Graduations

      1. Editor's Note

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday

      Second Sunday after Pentecost (June 10)

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (June 10)

      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      4. Inspiration for Today: Truth of Failure

      5. Featured: Godly Old People: The Cream of the Crop

      It took me a while to get this figured out, but over the years,
      eventually I began to notice something quite remarkable the living God
      does in people's lives: the longer they serve Him, the more like Christ
      they become. The process does not end with death, but continues right on
      into the next life where what the Bible calls "glorification"--the
      process of becoming Christ-like--is fulfilled and completed. ...

      6. Do One Thing at a Time - Commencement Address at Wheaton College

      Do one thing at a time. Give each experience all your attention. Try to
      resist being distracted by other sights and sounds, other thoughts and
      tasks, and when it is, guide your mind back to what you're doing. ...

      7. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish: Commencement Address at Stanford University

      "Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid
      the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked.
      There is no reason not to follow your heart."

      8. Nobody Can Take Away Your Personal Integrity: Commencement Address at
      Virginia Tech

      Understand that whatever else may fail you, whatever bad luck or failure
      may befall you, your personal integrity is always in your own hands and
      can never be taken from you.

      9. Pressing On

      Just because you believe something and don't always live up to it
      doesn't mean you are a hypocrite. In fact, that doesn't mean you are a
      hypocrite at all. What it does mean is that you are a human being. No
      one measures up all the time to the very high standards of God. We all
      fall short of the glory of God—again and again. We are imperfect people
      serving a perfect God. ...

      10. Caught in the Middle: The U.S. and Syrian Christians

      One of the hardest questions is this: What will become of Syria's
      substantial Christian population? The U.S. never asked this question
      about Iraq's Christian population before it invaded that country and the
      result was catastrophic for people whose ancestors, in the words of an
      earlier broadcast, "worshipped Jesus Christ back when most of ours
      worshipped trees and practiced the occasional human sacrifice." ...

      11. Parents: Character-Building Tips for Your Kids

      There is something especially senseless in reading about small children
      committing sadistic crimes. 'The younger the child, the more
      impressionable they are. We wanted to help busy parents scrambling to
      make ends meet teach children empathy, compassion, environmental
      awareness and other values.'

      12. Recipe: Spicy Almonds

      13. Money Can't Buy Happiness

      Freedom and personal autonomy are more important to people's well-being
      than money, according to a meta-analysis of data from 63 countries
      published by the American Psychological Association. ...

      14. Humor: A Picture of a Call Centre Employee

      15. About Malankara World

      ========================

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/default.htm

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service