A Dual in the Sun

  • C Devidasan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2012
      Dear Moderators,

      The following is an incident that took place in my life few days ago.� As I wrote it down, I had this sudden urge to share it with you all.

      Many a time we look at people through the eyes that suit us. Many a time, we consider many a people "wretched" even when we know that they have a "self" living inside them as much we have one living inside us, as much sacred as we believe we have.� As I moved away from the leper described in the trailing mail, I wished I had the power to touch her cure her with a single touch!!

      Best Regards,

      C Devidasan,
      Member ID 0975
      ----------------------�
      A Dual in the Sun

      Her fingers were worn off making them look like stems.� As she knocked at my car window at the traffic red light with her fingers that have been almost eaten away by the decease, I turned my face away from her. I disliked lepers.� Somewhere in my mind I perhaps nourished a fear that even a small touch from a leper would give me too that dreaded decease which I feared most. It was then I saw an infant precariously hanging from her waist. As its mother stretched out her hands for the alms from the people in the vehicles that queued up for the light to turn green on the busy road that had turned red hot in the scorching sun, I saw it slipping many times from her mother's waist and I involuntarily prayed God, God let it not fall...�

      I felt disturbed and a sense of guilt enveloped me. I should not have turned my face away and shown some compassion instead�, I told myself.

      I rolled down my window to give her some money and saw that she had already moved to another car that was in front of me. As I looked at her I felt that, perhaps I had seen her earlier though I could not remember when and where.

      Go away� The driver of the car shouted at her.�

      Without telling anything, she moved to the next vehicle and I saw that she walked with a limp and I recalled seeing her few months ago; little away from the same intersection where I was waiting in my car for a colleague I had to pick up to Sriram college campus at Greater Noida where I worked.� She was standing in front of a vendor who sold cold water in makeshift refrigerator box on the road side.�

      Please give me a glass of water�, she begged to vendor with a one rupee coin she was struggling to hold between her worn off fingers. The vendor shot back,

      Get lost.go away.you would get people who drink water from me the dreaded decease you are carrying

      I felt that what the vendor said was right; she could give the decease to others who drank water from him. But then I felt bad and pained and felt that I must give her some money and fished out a 20 rupee note from my wallet and saw my colleague searching for me in the rear view mirror and came out of the car to fetch her. As I came back to my car, I looked for the woman and saw her walking through the by lane that led to a slum in the middle of the city. I put the 20 rupee not back to my wallet saying to myself,

      Dhane dhane pe likhe hoti hein khanewale ke naam

      The leper who was begging in front of me was the same woman. I felt that I must give her some money this time at least and fished out a 50 rupee note.� The light had turned green and there was total chaos on the road. police man howled at the drivers as he tried to control the traffic. The leper was in the middle of the road trying to evade the traffic like a trapeze artist in a circus. I thought that I would be able to give her the 50 rupee note and then drive off before the lights turned red again. As she grabbed the note through the car window she touched my hands and I had a sudden eerie sensation running through me. I felt as if the germs from her worn off fingers creeping on to me.

      The lights had turned red all of a sudden and I found my car trapped in the middle of the intersection creating a traffic jam. The police man jumped in front of me blocking my effort to wriggle out.

      Take the car to the side and park it”, he shouted arrogantly.

      You jumped the red light., nikaal bara sau rupaya� and I knew that he was out to make a quick buck. I pulled the car side and fished out, this time, 3 hundred rupee notes from my wallet and told the police man,

      Pl take the money and let me go..I am in a hurry�

      From the distance, I saw the leper looking at me. She seemed unsure and disturbed. The police man was still standing by me, about to take the money I extended and there she was blocking me from giving that money to him!

      Sir do not take the money from him. it was because of me he had to jump the red light. I would give you the money�, she told the police man.

      I felt touched and as I looked on, she pulled out a dirty plastic bag stuck behind her soiled blouse. It contained full of coins and few 50 and 100 rupee notes and started counting them. I did not know what to tell her, but pushed her aside and stuck the 300 rupees I had already taken from my purse in to the hands of the police man. He took the money and silently went away back to the signal.

      I turned to the leper who was still looking at me and took her hands in my hands. I felt that it was perhaps the cleanest hands I have seen in the whole of my life..it was, I was sure, full and complete and had not deformity; and told her.

      Aap se milke muche acha laga� and I was sure that I saw a tear in her eyes too.

      As I started my car, I heard a police whistle and stopped yet again thinking what I have done this time. It was the same police man I had just bribed.� He came slowly to my car and stretched his hands and I found it had three hundred rupee notes I had just given him and said in a slow tone,

      Sir, I cannot take this money from you. please take it back�

      The leper was still looking at me. As I drove, I waved at her and she waved back and there was this enchanting smile on her lips.

      C Devidasan,
      Member ID 0975
    • Dn. Joel
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2012
        Dear C. Devidasan,

        Thank you for sharing this story with all of us. A true eye-opening and tear-jerking experience. At times we all forget that we ARE our "brother's keeper" (Genesis 4:9). We tend to lose ourselves in the bubble of daily existence while grieving over our comparably microscopic burdens. For those of us who claim to be Christians, we must then live up to the standards that Christ has set for us. Through Christ and Christian living, we may be worthy of His grace. Let us pray that we see Christ in the face of suffering men, women, and children. He gave freely, not so that we may have, but so that through Him, we may be able to help His children.

        As I read your story I recalled Mathew 5:3-8:
        "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
        Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
        Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
        Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
        Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
        Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God."

        May God bless you on your journey.

        In His Mercy,
        Dn. Joel
        New York