Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Jun 2, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      "The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearances, but the Lord looks at the heart.”- 1 Samuel 16:7 (NLT)

      Clownish face of my wife after her surgery - "I like it," he says. “It’s kind of cute.”

      Beauty is blind. Vanity is hilarious, because just as soon as you think you are looking good, sexy and worthy of the cover of People magazine, along comes a life lesson to make you realize that beauty really lies in the eyes of the beholder. What is on the outside is not nearly as important as what is on the inside. The wisest Solomon says, "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting.”

      Saul was tall and handsome; he was an impressive looking man. Samuel may have been trying to find someone who looked like Saul to be the next king, but God warned him against judging by appearance alone. Appearance does not reveal what people are really like or what their true value is.

      A young woman lies on a bed, her face post operative, her mouth twisted in palsy; clownish. A tiny twig of the facial nerve, the one to the muscles of her mouth, has been severed. She will be thus be like this from now on. Her young husband is in the room. He stands on the opposite side of the bed, and together they seem to dwell in the evening lamp light, isolated from the surgeon. “Who are they, the surgeon asks himself , “he and this wry-mouth I have made, who look and touch each other so generously and greedily.”

      “Will my mouth always be look this?” she asks.

      “Yes,” the surgeon says, “it is because the nerve was cut.”

      She nods and is silent. But the young man smiles. “I like it,” he says. “ It is kind of cute.”

      All at once the surgeon says, "I know who he is." I understand, and I lower my gaze. One is not bold in an encounter with God. Unmindful, he bends to kiss her crooked mouth, and I am so close I can see how he twists his own lips to accommodate her, to show her that their kiss still works.”

      Prayer: Jesus let us see the inner beauty of our partners. Let us love them when they are disfigured or lose their beauty. Let us have the eyes of God to look on human beings for their inner values and beauty. We pray for all the women undergoing surgery and its aftermath. Let husbands love their wives under all circumstances. All we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

      Paulose Achen

      Toronto
      Sunday, 3rd June 2012
    • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V