Elder Paisios

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2012
      God has gone out with a shout! + The Lord with the sound of the trumpet!

      One time some seniors from the Athonite School asked him [Elder Paisios] what they should watch out for most in their lives. Pay attention to the little everyday things,� he answered. You sit there comfortably in your armchair, and you think that it's not bad or a sin; you say, It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if we eat a little more, or if we ask for good food. It doesn't matter if we sleep a little bit more. It doesn't matter if I was a little short with my parents or someone else. This doesn't matter, that doesn't matter. We justify all these little wrongs. But not paying attention to the small things will lead us to do even bigger wrongs and then we'll say, it doesn't matter about them too. We shouldn't let the body be lazy because the body affects the spirit. We have to be vigilant.

      Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14994581/elder-paisios-of-mount-athos
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
        We can't limp along in the spiritual life; we can't jus stay in the hallway. If you stay in the hallway, you'll never get to God's living room - that is paradise.

        Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14994581/elder-paisios-of-mount-athos
      • The Orthodox Bookstore
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25
          Grumbling is caused by misery and it can be put aside by doxology (giving praise). Grumbling begets grumbling and doxology begets doxology. when someone doesn’t grumble over a problem troubling him, but rather praises God, then the devil gets frustrated and goes off to someone else who grumbles, in order to cause everything to go even worse for him. You see, the more one grumbles, the more one falls into ruin.

          Sometimes the devil deceives us and makes us unable to be pleased with anything; however, one can celebrate all things in a spiritual manner, with doxology, and secure God’s constant blessing.

          Elder Paisios, Spiritual Counsels, Volume 4 - Family Life

          In Christ,
          Mark Sedrak
          (818) 802-3169
          The Orthodox Bookstore
          Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore on the following platforms!