Our Daily Bread-God's Wheelchair

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 7:41 AM
      READ: Psalm 46

      His throne was a fiery flame, its wheels a burning fire. Daniel 7:9

      Jean Driscoll is a remarkable athlete. She has won the Boston Marathon eight times. She has also participated in four Paralympic Games and won five gold medals. Born with spina bifida, Jean competes in a wheelchair.

      One of Driscoll's favorite Bible verses is Daniel 7:9, The Ancient of Days was seated . . . . His throne was a fiery flame, its wheels a burning fire. Seeing a connection between Daniel's vision of God and her own situation, she is able to pass along words of encouragement to others.

      Anytime I've had an opportunity to talk with people who use wheelchairs and feel bad about being in a chair, I tell them, Not only are you made in the image of God, but your wheelchair is made in the image of His throne.

      Daniel's vision, of course, doesn't portray God as being impaired in motion. In fact, some see God's wheelchair� as a symbol of a just God sovereignly moving within human affairs. Other passages speak of God's providence providing help to those who believe (Prov. 3:25-26; Matt. 20:29-34; Eph. 1:11).

      Jean Driscoll's faith in God has helped her triumph over personal
      challenges. We too can be confident that the high and holy One is near
      and ready to help us if only we ask (Ps. 46). Dennis Fisher

      He cannot fail, your faithful God;
      He'll guard you with His mighty power;
      Then fear no ill though troubles rise,
      His help is sure from hour to hour. Bosch

      With God behind you and His arms beneath you, you can face whatever lies ahead of you. Ward