Re: Thrones

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2012
      Respected Deacon Zach,

      You wrote:

      [Also, let me comment on unity - why is hierarchical unity with those who choose to believe something different necessary? We can easily move as sister churches, much like the oriental community does already. The early church developed into three and then four separate administrations, yet sharing the same faith until Chalcedon.]

      I really hope so. My aim is not administrative unity. What I am looking for is peace and love among Orthodox christians, and a focus on core Orthodox faith rather than peripheral issues as Thrones and Sees. "Let the rest of India, know that we are Christians by our Love."

      You wrote:
      [A faction has declared autocephaly. We disagree. Why change our position? Why accept the fiction of succession from specifically St. Thomas? We can keep our tradition and work toward harmony without compromise.]

      It is not as simple as you have stated. The 1912 Catholicate is not valid and was established without due process, and our fathers didnt accept it, and rightfully so.
      http://sites.google.com/site/malankarathoughts/

      The matter was taken up thru the courts. Due to whatever reason (may be we didnt present the case well or may be there was judicial corruption), the courts ruled in favor of the 1912 Cathoicate in 1958. The Patriarch unconditionally accepted the Catholicose. The Catholicose accepted the Patriarch as per the terms of 1934 constitution.

      If the whole 'unconditional acceptance' episode of 1958 had not transpired, I would be 100% with you. In my opinion it was not the 1958 Supreme Court ruling that brought legitimacy to the illegitimate Catholicate of 1912. It was the 'unconditional acceptance' that gave it the legitimacy.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M