Are we right with our version of The Lord's Prayer - An Analysis

  • George Vergese
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2012
      Dear Friends in Christ,

      A close examination of the Prayer that our Lord Jesus Christ taught us - the Lord's Prayer - reveals a step by step degeneration from absolute purity to evil

      - Addressing our Father in Heaven and hallowing His Name in all purity

      - Requesting God to exercise the administration of His Heavenly Kingdom : a step down - that is on Earth (transition of Lord's Prayer from Heaven to Earth)

      - Praying that only His Will be done not just in Heaven, but also on Earth, because here is where we earthlings have the freedom to exercise a choice to do His Will or not to do His Will (at this juncture it is the completion of transition of Prayer from Heaven to Earth)

      - Asking for our daily needs on Earth (Earthly requirements and request for fulfillment)

      - Begging for forgiveness conditionally for sins committed - the first step into sin

      - Request to save from temptation by the evil one - another step towards deterioration

      - A final plea to deliver from the evil one - the step that follows temptation which could drive us into the hands of the evil one and we are crying out that we be rescued.

      Having reached this level which is furthest from purity, and in the manner that Christ Himself taught us, why do we add the doxology, not in the original Bible, which takes the Prayer back to its purer levels : For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory, for ever and ever.

      Warm regards

      George Vergese
      Chennai
      4890
    • Thomas Mann George
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2012
        Dear George Vergese,

        Most of the Bible versions including the Catholic versions are ignored with the last part in Lord’s Prayer. However most of the researchers and scholars comments that, it was part of the Lord’s Prayer. The Peseto version of Bible which we follow also has this line added. Again, tt is worth reading the teaching of St. John Chrysostom on the Lord's Prayer. He mentions on Matthew 6:13 as-

        "He again encourages and raises our spirits, by bringing to our remembrance the King under whom we are arrayed, and signifying Him to be more powerful than all. "For Thine," saith He, "is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory."

        ...When He saith, "Thine is the kingdom," He sets before us even him, who is warring against us, brought into subjection, though he seem to oppose, God for a while permitting it. For in truth he too is among God's servants, though of the degraded class, and those guilty of offense; and he would not dare set upon any of his fellow servants, had he not first received license from above. And why say I, "his fellow servants?" Not even against swine did he venture any outrage, until He Himself allowed him (Lk 8:30-32); nor against flocks, nor herds, until he had received permission from above.

        "And the power," saith He. Therefore, manifold as thy weakness may be, thou mayest of right be confident, having such a one to reign over thee, who is able fully to accomplish all, and that with ease, even by thee (Rom 10:2).

        "And the glory, for ever. Amen." Thus He not only frees thee from the dangers that are approaching thee, but can make thee also glorious and illustrious. For as His power is great, so also is His glory unspeakable, and they are all boundless, and no end of them. Seest thou how He hath by every means anointed His Champion, and hath framed Him to be full of confidence?”

        http://inthelord.com/Christian%20Mysticism/resources/prayer/Lords_prayer/Chrysostom/Chrysostom.html

        Hence I feel it is by its own taught by our Lord rather than a doxology added later.

        >>Having reached this level which is furthest from purity, and in the manner that Christ Himself taught us, why do we add the doxology, not in the original Bible, which takes the Prayer back to its purer levels :
        >>For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory, for ever and ever.

        In HIS Love,
        Thomas Mann George KL,
        ID 972