Our Daily Bread -Are You Tuned In?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 6:54 PM
      READ: John 16:7-15

      The Holy Spirit . . . will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. —John 14:26

      When I was growing up, I stayed with my grandparents for a week or two every summer. They lived on a street that dead-ended into some railroad tracks. I would often awaken several times on my first night as the box cars rumbled by or when an engineer blew the train whistle. By the end of my visit, however, I had grown so accustomed to the noise that I could sleep straight through the night without interruption. I had tuned out the sounds.

      There are other interruptions that I don’t want to tune out! I love it when my husband unexpectedly brings me a cup of coffee when I’m working at the computer. And it brings me joy when I receive an unexpected call from a friend.

      Sometimes we’re tempted to tune out “divine interruptions” of the Holy Spirit instead of listening to His promptings. He may nudge us with a realization that we need to ask forgiveness for something we said or did. Or persistently remind us that we should pray for someone who is experiencing a crisis. Or convict us that we have never fully shared Jesus with a person we care about.

      When the Holy Spirit indwells us, He teaches us, convicts us, comforts us, and guides us into truth (John 14:16-17,26; 16:7-8,13). Are you tuned in to the interruption of His voice? —Cindy Hess Kasper

      Holy Spirit, help us hear
      Your inner promptings, soft and clear;
      And help us know Your still, small voice
      So we may make God’s will our choice. —D. De Haan

      Make the right choice: Obey the Spirit’s voice.