TODAY WITH JESUS

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      “Let us stop this business of charging interest.” (Nehemiah 5 :10)

      Profit not at the misfortune of others.

      Blade mafia and blade business is synonymous with charging interest from needy borrowers. Christians are not allowed to charge interest as money lenders do. Exodus 22:25 - “If you lend money to any of my people who are in need, do not charge interest as a money lender would.” Christianity is to be practiced in our daily live. People require money to meet their daily ends. In this dire situation, we should extend our hands by giving interest-free money for education, food, shelter treatment, etc. God never intended people to profit from other’s misfortunes. In contrast to the values of this world, God says that caring for one another is more important than personal gains. We should help the needy, not exploit them. Proverb 28;27 - "Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing.” Even to share or use the interest money earned is anathema to churches, Christians and for the good work of God. Islamic banks also follow the interest-free loan of Christian practice.

      In the 1990’s, St. Thomas Syrian orthodox Church in Chennai was flooded with new job seekers and had people employed in low-paid jobs. Even to travel to their homes in Kerala once a year was difficult without borrowing money. The Church General Body unanimously made a fund and entrusted this to a trusted member to manage and run it interest-free to the needy. Not only that worked well, but also ensured that nobody in the church borrowed money for interest. I was then the vicar of the said church, so I had the first hand experience of the efficacy of interest-free lending. If our families and churches initiate to lend interest-free money, then it will bear the fruit of a Syriacised Bank lending money and have the bounty of the blessings of Jesus.

      Prayer: Jesus, let all the needy have money to meet their ends. Let poverty be wiped out from this world. Let all the money lenders stop lending money for interest. We pray for all the poor and their misfortunes. Let all the victims of money lenders be freed and consoled. Let at least our churches be freed from the satanic clutches of money lenders. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Paulose Achen

      Toronto
      Tuesday, 1st May 2012