John Chrysostom

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2012
      Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

      The sea is surging and the waves are high; but we have nothing to fear because we stand on a rock – the rock of faith.

      John Chrysostom
      From: On Living Simply
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/8068345/on-living-simply
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 13, 2012
        Some people, if they stumble at all, or are slandered by anyone or fall ill with a chronic disease, gout, or headache or such ailment, at once begin to blaspheme. They submit to the pain of the disease, but deprive themselves of the benefit. What are you doing, man blaspheming your benefactor, savior, protector, and guardian? Or do you not see that you are falling down a cliff and casting yourself into the pit of final destruction? You do not make your suffering lighter, do you, if you blaspheme? Indeed you aggravate it, and make your distress more grievous. For the devil brings a multitude of misfortunes for this
        purpose, to lead you down into that pit.

        John Chrysostom, on Wealth and Poverty, Third Sermon on Lazarus and the Rich Man

        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332981/on-wealth-and-poverty-john-chrysostom
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 26, 2012
          Let everything take second place to our care of our children, our bringing them
          up to the discipline and instruction of the Lord. If from the beginning we
          teach them to love true wisdom, they will have great wealth and glory than
          riches can provide. If a child learns a trade, or is highly educated for a
          lucrative profession, all this is nothing compared to the art of detachment
          from riches; if you want to make your child rich, teach him this. He is truly
          rich who does not desire great possessions, or surround himself with wealth,
          but who requires nothing…Don’t think that only monks need to learn the Bible;
          Children about to go our into the world stand in greater need of Scriptural
          knowledge.

          John Chrysostom, Homilies on Ephesians, Homily 21
          On Marriage and Family Life
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332888/on-marriage-and-family-life-john-chrysostom
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 12, 2012
            The priest is standing before the Holy Gate and exclaims: ‘Let us attend ...’,
            many times in fact. However, this entreaty is the voice of the Church but most
            people do not pay attention to it...‘Let us attend...’, ‘let us attend...’, and
            no one attends.

            Many say: We will hear the same things again... again and again.

            Others again say: We do not understand anything they say...
            How dare you say that whatever it is they read it is always the same, for you
            know neither the names of the Prophets, nor the names of the Apostles, nor the
            names of the Evangelists?

            And again, how do you dare say that you do not understand
            the sacred texts of the Readings during the Diving Liturgy,
            when you do not study them at home at all? . . .

            In order for us not to be ‘judged’, let us attend! Let us attend! Let us be
            attentive!
            ~ St. John Chrysostom

            Protopresbyter Stephanos K Anagnostopoulos, Experiences During the Divine
            Liturgy
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/9775835/experiences-during-the-divine-liturgy
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
              Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

              Adorn your face, therefore, with modesty, piety, almsgiving, benevolence, love,
              kindliness towards your husband, reasonableness, mildness, and forbearance.
              These are the pigments of virtue; by these you draw not men but angels to you as
              your lovers; for these you have God Himself to praise you. When God shall
              approve of you, He will win over your husband to you in every way; for if wisdom
              illumines the face of man, much more does virtue make the face of a woman shine
              forth.

              John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions, The True Adornment of Women
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2358746/baptismal-instruction-john-chrysostom