- Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!
The sea is surging and the waves are high; but we have nothing to fear because we stand on a rock – the rock of faith.
From: On Living Simply
- Some people, if they stumble at all, or are slandered by anyone or fall ill with a chronic disease, gout, or headache or such ailment, at once begin to blaspheme. They submit to the pain of the disease, but deprive themselves of the benefit. What are you doing, man blaspheming your benefactor, savior, protector, and guardian? Or do you not see that you are falling down a cliff and casting yourself into the pit of final destruction? You do not make your suffering lighter, do you, if you blaspheme? Indeed you aggravate it, and make your distress more grievous. For the devil brings a multitude of misfortunes for this
purpose, to lead you down into that pit.
John Chrysostom, on Wealth and Poverty, Third Sermon on Lazarus and the Rich Man
- Let everything take second place to our care of our children, our bringing them
up to the discipline and instruction of the Lord. If from the beginning we
teach them to love true wisdom, they will have great wealth and glory than
riches can provide. If a child learns a trade, or is highly educated for a
lucrative profession, all this is nothing compared to the art of detachment
from riches; if you want to make your child rich, teach him this. He is truly
rich who does not desire great possessions, or surround himself with wealth,
but who requires nothing…Don’t think that only monks need to learn the Bible;
Children about to go our into the world stand in greater need of Scriptural
John Chrysostom, Homilies on Ephesians, Homily 21
On Marriage and Family Life
- The priest is standing before the Holy Gate and exclaims: ‘Let us attend ...’,
many times in fact. However, this entreaty is the voice of the Church but most
people do not pay attention to it...‘Let us attend...’, ‘let us attend...’, and
no one attends.
Many say: We will hear the same things again... again and again.
Others again say: We do not understand anything they say...
How dare you say that whatever it is they read it is always the same, for you
know neither the names of the Prophets, nor the names of the Apostles, nor the
names of the Evangelists?
And again, how do you dare say that you do not understand
the sacred texts of the Readings during the Diving Liturgy,
when you do not study them at home at all? . . .
In order for us not to be ‘judged’, let us attend! Let us attend! Let us be
~ St. John Chrysostom
Protopresbyter Stephanos K Anagnostopoulos, Experiences During the Divine
- Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!
Adorn your face, therefore, with modesty, piety, almsgiving, benevolence, love,
kindliness towards your husband, reasonableness, mildness, and forbearance.
These are the pigments of virtue; by these you draw not men but angels to you as
your lovers; for these you have God Himself to praise you. When God shall
approve of you, He will win over your husband to you in every way; for if wisdom
illumines the face of man, much more does virtue make the face of a woman shine
John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions, The True Adornment of Women
- Christ is Risen! + Indeed, He is Risen!Just as at that time God took the rib of Adam and formed a woman, so Christ gave us blood and water from his side and formed the Church. Just as then He took the rib from Adam when he was in a deep sleep, so now He gave us blood and water after His death, first the water then the blood. But was then a deep slumber is now death, so that you may know that this death is henceforth sleep.John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions