Malankara World Journal Issue 73 (April 26, 2012) is available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2012
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 73 (April 26, 2012) is available online at:

      Guest Editorial:

      Here is an article written by an young rising star of our church as to her experience with leading the VBS in our church this year. Enjoy.

      My VBS Experience

      by Sheena Mathew, MBA

      This is my first serious article and I request the readers to be kind enough to understand and forgive me for not standing up to their expectations.

      Based in Kerala, Our church, St. Mary's Jacobite Church, East Pampady, is one of the oldest Jacobite churches under the Kottayam Diocese. God has always blessed me by showering His grace upon me in umpteen number of ways. This time He gave me the privilege of being the Assistant Director of the "Jacobite Syrian Vacation Bible studies" camp held in our church. Being in charge of a group of about 98 students was quite an experience. Being in love with kids from my very small age I was totally blessed and on top of the world when I was given the charge of the camp and asked to carryout several duties as part of the VBS 2012. The primary task among them was to teach music to these students. Although I had been involved actively with our church choir and is quite comfortable with the music in the liturgy, this task was very challenging because it required us to keep these kids energized all the time.

      Our camp started on April 9, 2012, the day after Easter. The camp started with usual registration process, categorizing the kids into different classes based on their age, as Beginners, Sub-Juniors, Juniors and seniors. The camp was held in the church for the next 7 days with loads of singing, games and studying - all based on the theme of the year which was: "Abide in the Tabernacle" taken from Psalm 15:1.

      Everyday the camp would start with the prayer, followed by music practice. Later they would attend classes based on the theme - various means to Abide in the Tabernacle, called as God. The students were taken through the various points of being truthful, doing good to neighbours, respecting our elders and the leaders of the church etc. based on Psalms 15. The purpose of the camp was to make sure that the kids are all active participants in all the activities organised, to bring out their strengths and nurture them so that they could do the best for the church. With this in mind the camp not only had studies and classes, but also had a Day of Service, Day of Giving, Day of Beauty and the Rally. It was really an experience to see children of age between 5- 15 working hard and being an active participant in various activities of the camp.

      By the end of the 7-day camp, it was not only an experience for the kids but also came as a blessing to the teachers and all the others in charge of the camp.

      It definitely was an experience and a blessing for me. I was awakened spiritually. I had a chance to Taste our God. I continue to experience God's grace to this very day. It also provided me an emotional uplift; I got an opportunity to fine-tune my Leadership skills, Interpersonal skills, Communication skills etc.

      God really does wonders in each and everyone's life. Every day is a miracle, and unexpected things do happen to people who believe that God can do wonders with your life. It is up to each person to see that blessing, grab it and and use it to the maximum to spread his goodwill to others. Be thankful to God for each and every circumstances that you are going through. Accept life as it comes, and do Everything as a Worship and Praise to God. Your life will definitely will be a miracle and you will see beauty in each second of your life.

      Table of Contents Issue No: 73

      1. Editor's Note
      Guest Editorial: My VBS Experience by Sheena Mathew, MBA

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (April 29)
      Second Sunday after New Sunday

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (April 29)

      4. Inspiration for Today
      They shall see his face. ...

      5. Featured This Week: Strange Surrender
      In the presence of the one that moved mountains of sin and unawareness and brought them to the feast of God, the disciples found reason to surrender. Might we also be humbled by the God who refuses to leave despite words we shout in protest, despite refusals to surrender, despite ourselves. Might we be awed by the one who says, "Follow me!" and expects us to trust that he will not leave or forsake us. And might we marvel at the God who, carrying in his own body the scars of defeat, invites us to the nearness that is victory. ...

      6. Why is Jesus Hidden
      How often is the Lord Jesus knocking at our door to gain our attention to something, and we are not listening? ... He hears the inner thoughts and intents of our hearts. As our hearts cry out to Him, He hears these things, and a book of remembrance is written, while we talk together, and while we commune together, and while we discuss these perplexing circumstances we do not understand. Every one of those prayers are written and remembered before the throne, and in His good time, He answers them. ...

      7. Love Makes the Difference
      How well do you understand the extent of Jesus' love? This love, in its truest, supernatural form, can make the difference in our relationships with others. But the only way this is possible is if the love of Jesus has already made the difference in our relationship with our Heavenly Father. The Gospel of John tells how Jesus demonstrated this love to His disciples in chapter 21. ...

      8. His Commission to Us
      This is love in the making. The love of God is not created - it is His nature. When we receive the life of Christ through the Holy Spirit, He unites us with God so that His love is demonstrated in us. The goal of the indwelling Holy Spirit is not just to unite us with God, but to do it in such a way that we will be one with the Father in exactly the same way Jesus was. ...

      9. The Piercing Question
      Unless we are experiencing the hurt of facing every deception about ourselves, we have hindered the work of the Word of God in our lives. The Word of God inflicts hurt on us more than sin ever could, because sin dulls our senses. ...

      10. Health: Diseases Caused by Sugar Poisoning
      This article was published in July, 1910 edition of MEDICAL REVIEW OF REVIEWS. It is amazing that Dr. Gould described hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder so accurately more than 100 years ago. It also predicted the problems we will have with high sugar and refined flour diets. ...

      11. Recipe: Healthy Banana Oat Cookies
      These make a great healthy mid-morning snack!

      12. Do you Love Me?
      One day, I woke early in the morning to watch the sunrise. Ah the beauty of God's creation is beyond description. As I watched, I praised God for His beautiful work. As I sat there, I felt the Lord's presence with me. He asked me, "Do you love me?" ...

      13. Why Do Catholics Leave, and What Can be Done About It?
      Although this article deals with Catholic Church, it has great relevance to our church. We are also faced with our members leaving the church en-mass to Pentecostal Churches, Prayer Groups, Malankara Rite Church etc. I am not sure if any introspection or studies have been conducted to determine the exact cause. My own informal conversations with disgruntled members revealed that issues such as lack of emphasis on bible studies, poor or no sermons, "poor public relations" as Fr. Barron points out in this article are quite relevant in our church too. ...

      14. Christian Life
      "Does the Son of God live again through us? That's also part of Jesus' prayer for us -- that the world will see Christ in us, through our unity and through our love.

      15. Humor: The Gospel Has Been Proclaimed

      16. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World