Our Daily Bread- Investment Advice

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2012
      READ: 2 Peter 1:1-11

      If these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. —2 Peter 1:8

      I want to help you invest wisely in your future.” That’s what the financial advisor said as he began his talk about investing in 401(k)s and retirement funds. He wanted his listeners to continue putting money in the stock market during all the ups and downs of the economy because historically a good return will eventually occur.
      God wants us to invest wisely in our spiritual future as well. Through the ups and downs of life’s circumstances we should continually invest in a “spiritual account”: our character. The apostle Peter tells us to be diligent about character development (2 Peter 1:5-11). After we trust in Christ for salvation, we are to invest these qualities into our character: faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love.
      The future returns on our investment in character will be godliness (vv.5-7), fruitfulness in the knowledge of Jesus Christ (v.8), assurance of our calling (v.9), and victory over sin (v.10).
      Investing money in retirement funds can be profitable, but investing in our spiritual lives offers the best kind of return for our future! —Anne Cetas
      Let us grow up into Christ,
      Claiming His life and its powers—
      The triumphs of grace in the heavenly place
      That our conquering Lord has made ours. —Flint
      Now is the time to invest in eternity.