Easter Message from Mor Julius Elias

  • SOCM Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2012
      DAYRO D’ MOR GABRIEL
      THE MALANKARA JACOBITE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
      (Under the Holy Apostolic See of Antioch & All the East)

      Dayroyo Mor Julius Elias
      juliusthirumeni@...

      ...EASTER MESSAGE...

      ‘Woman, why are you crying?’

      “At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. ‘Woman,’ he said, ‘why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?’ Thinking he was the gardener, she said, ‘Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him’” (John 20:14-15).

      Why didn’t Mary recognize the Lord? The text doesn’t say but several answers come to mind. The main reason seems to be that Jesus deliberately veiled his own identity much as he did with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35). Jesus did not want Mary to recognize him at first so that he could teach her an important truth. She had to learn that he is always present even when he is invisible to the naked eye. From this we learn that our Lord is often closest to us when we feel the most alone. Many times while going through a dark valley, we think God has abandoned us. But if only our eyes could be opened, we would see the Lord walking with us every step of the way. Just because we don’t see him doesn’t mean he isn’t there.

      Note the question Jesus asked: “Who are you looking for?” Not “What are you looking for?” That’s a different question. Mary was looking for a what, a dead body. She was looking for something; Jesus pointed her to someone. The answer to our deepest needs is not something, but someone, the Lord Jesus Christ.

      Who are you looking for? Why are you weeping? The time for tears is over. The time to tell the Good News has come.

      He is risen! He is risen indeed! Amen.

      Wish you a blessed and exultant resurrection day!

      Elias Mor Julius