A Wretched Man I Am

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2012
      I refer to the message 4 under the above caption by Rev.Dn.Monsy Manimalethu in the SOCM Bulletin No.3698 of 23rd March 2012 and beg to submit as follows:

      The Rev.Dn says among others "But she (Mary Magdalene) knew one thing; that she was alive because of Him. Otherwise she would be dead by stoning."

      The following verses refer to Mary Magdalene in the Holy Scriptures:

      Mt.27/56,61, 28/1, Mk 15/40,47, 16/1,9, Lk 8/2, 24/10 and Jn 19/25, 20/1-18

      Nowhere it is mentioned that Mary Magdalene is a public woman, a whore or a woman caught in the very act of adultery. St.Luke who took pains to study the life and mission of our Lord Jesus Christ (vide Lk 1/3) has mentioned that Mary Magdalene was a wretched woman who was possessed by seven evil spirits and our Lord cast out the spirits from her. ( Lk.8/2)

      Then how is it that most of us started believeing that poor Magdalene is the adultrer saved by our Lord during His ministery for saving people from sins ?

      I feel that the false notion is due to the influence of Magdelna Mariyam (Khanda Kaavyam)
      by the Malayalam Poet Vallathol.

      It is my humble request that we must believe that Mary Magdelna has never been a whore.

      I take this opportunity to indicate that there is a grave mistake in the Malayalam song we sing during the Kyomtho Sundays starting with the Easter Sunday. In the Kolo 1 after Sedro of the Prayer for the Third Hour we sing that Mariyam Magdelna addressed the Owner of the Garden MAKANE.(SON ) THIS IS WRONG WE HAVE TO CHANGE MAKANE TO AVANE.
      Mariyam is pleading with the Owner of the Garden to inform her place where the owner of the garden has kept the dead body of our Lord Jesus so that she may take the body from there. Mariyam is not inclinded to refer to the dead body of the Lord as A DEAD BODY and she uses the word AVAN to refer to the dead body of her malphono and she asks WHERE HAVE YOU KEPT HIM ? (AVANE NEE EVITEYAANU VECHIRIKKUNNATHU ?)

      V T John
      ID 3085