The Sacrifice of Penance

  • Rev John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28 7:12 PM
      The Sacrifice of Penance

      Meaningful Sacrifice - part 7

      In this sermon, Fr. John Brian continues a series of sermons on the topic of meaningful sacrifice.

      This week, Fr. John Brian is the second on Origen's seventh remission - the remission through penance and "weeping," to which Origen adds healing of illness. Fr. John Brian takes time to bring us to an understanding of the sacrifice involved in confession, weeping for our own sins, penance and the mercy of God.

      Psalm 6 is emphasized for its help in understanding where the sacrifice meets the grace and mercy of God.

      After baptism, this is the culmination of early Church Father Origen's
      "Seven Sacrifices - Seven Remissions" (The excerpt from his "Homilies on Leviticus" can be read at:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2012/02/seven-sacrifices-seven-remissions.html )

      This sermon uses and refers to scripture readings appointed by the Syrian Malankara calendar and was given on Sunday, March 25, 2012 by Fr. John-Brian Paprock at Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Mission Chapel, Madison, Wisconsin.

      Thank you for your prayers and support. We continue to be in a particularly important time for our parish - please continue to pray for us and let us know your support. This year has great potential and we need your support. Thank you in advance for your continuing kindness and considerations.

      LISTEN ON-LINE HERE:
      http://frjohbrian.blogspot.com/2012/03/sacrifice-of-penance.html