Suboro (Annunciation to the Virgin St. Mary)

  • Prajusha Lissyraj
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2012
      Suboro (Annunciation to the Virgin St. Mary)
      Feast Day: March 25

      The Feast of the Annunciation of Our Most Holy Lady, the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary is celebrated on March 25 each year. The Feast commemorates the announcement by the Archangel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the Son of God, would become incarnate and enter into this world through her womb.

      In Mayalayam this feast is known as vachanippu perunal. This feast is celeberated on March 25th, exactly 9 months prior to December 25th when the Nativity of our Lord is celeberated. Actually we celebrate the Feast of Annunciation to St. Mary twice a year. On the 3rd Sunday after Koodhosh Eetho and on March 25th.

      Annunciation to the Virgin is one of the most important feasts celebrated in our church, so important that the Holy Liturgy (Qurbono) must be held on this day even if March 25th also happens to be Good Friday! (The Holy Liturgy is otherwise prohibited on Good Friday since the Church celebrates the death of Christ; in fact, the altar is stripped of all altar vessels and covered in black on Good Friday.)

      Biblical Story: The biblical story of the Feast of the Annunciation is found in the first chapter of the Gospel of Saint Luke (1:26-39)

      Icon of the Feast:

      The icon of the Annunciation is one that presents the joy of the announcement of the coming of Christ. It is an icon of bright colors, depicting the Archangel Gabriel:

      1. The Archangel Gabriel presents the good news of the coming of Christ to Mary
      2. The Virgin Mary, who was chosen to be the Mother
      3. The position of Archangel Gabriel's feet suggest that he is running to share the news with Mary
      4. The Archangel's right hand is extended towards Mary as he announces the blessing bestowed upon her [Mary] by God
      5. Her left hand holds a spindle of crimson yarn depicting the task that she had of making the veil of the Temple in Jerusalem
      6. Mary's right hand is raised in acceptance of Gabriel's message
      7. The three stars on the garments of the Theotokos represent that she was a Virgin before, during, and after the birth of Christ .
      8. A depiction of the divine realm and the Holy Spirit coming upon the Theotokos

      "Shlomo, Peace be unto thee,"
      Said Gabriel,
      "Our Lord is with thee;
      Blessed art thou among women. [Luke 1.28]
      I have left Him above, but found Him with thee.
      He Whom you are bearing,
      Who bears the whole creation."

      By: Prajusha Lissyraj