Copts mourn Pope Shenouda with eyes set on unclear future

  • SOCM News
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2012
      CAIRO: Just hours after his announced death on Saturday, thousands of
      inconsolable Coptic Christians flocked to the Cairo and Alexandria
      Cathedrals, uniting to mourn the death of a leader and "father"
      figure, Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria.

      Shenouda's body, dressed in a golden crown and formal robes, with a
      gold knobbed staff cradled on his shoulder, was placed upright on the
      papal throne in the Cairo Cathedral where it will remain on display
      until his funeral on Tuesday.

      Based on wishes stated in his will, Shenouda will be buried at St.
      Bishoy monastery of Wadi Natrun in the Nile Delta, where he spent his
      time in exile after a dispute with late president Anwar Sadat.

      In Cairo, thousands of people crushed through the Cathedral doors on
      Saturday and Sunday, showing their cross-tattooed wrists to pass
      through, a symbol many Coptic Christians use to distinguish themselves
      in a predominantly Muslim society.

      Many shared words of grief, some consoled each other, while others
      shared their concerns.

      "Be patient," said one young man as a group of men pushed and
      yelled at each other to enter the Cathedral in the Abbaseya district of
      Cairo. "If you aren't going to put up with each other now, when
      will you learn?" he asked with lament.

      Not only was Shenouda the spiritual leader of the community, but the
      88-year-old also served as a representative of the Coptic Christians
      when it came to political issues.

      An adamant supporter of ousted president Hosni Mubarak from 1981-2011,
      Shenouda believed in "keeping the peace," known by his
      followers for his words of wisdom, love and patience.

      While critics saw him as limiting the representation of the Christian
      community to one figure, many Coptic Christians saw Shenouda as the
      bridge, communicating their worries to the country's predominant
      Muslim leaders.

      "He taught us to be forgiving even towards our enemies," Mounir
      Yehia, a 54-year old cleric at the Cairo Cathedral, told Daily News
      Egypt.

      "This is terrifying. He was not only our leader, but a father to us
      all," Yehia said with a devastated, solemn look on his face.

      Kamil Seddiq, the secretary of the Melli Council of the Orthodox Church
      in Alexandria, said the Pope's death was "a big loss to the
      Egyptian people, Muslims before Christians. He was known for his
      patriotism and his concern for the unity of the nation."

      As Church leaders flocked to Cairo for the Tuesday funeral — and
      Cairo Airport was preparing to receive foreign dignitaries — Seddiq
      said the Alexandria Cathedral will set a date later to receive
      condolences. All prayers held in churches across the country now are
      unofficial and are the result of individual efforts in an ode to the
      Pope, he said.

      According to the Church's bylaws drafted in 1957, less than 2,000
      prominent Church and community leaders including bishops, archbishops
      and heads of monasteries will be deciding on Shenouda's successor.

      In the meantime, the grief-stricken Coptic community will continue
      through this "worrying" phase, as Egypt's political and
      social arena remain unpredictable.

      With Egypt's first presidential election since the ouster of Mubarak
      slated for May, and as drafting the new constitution gets underway,
      Yehia fears that there will be nobody to speak on behalf of the Coptic
      minority, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt's 85 million.

      As Egypt continues to undergo political changes since the January 25
      uprising in 2011, last Christmas, for the first time ever, Shenouda sat
      down inside the Cairo Cathedral with leaders of Muslim Brotherhood,
      whose political arm dominates the country's post-revolution
      parliament.

      "There is a radical Islamist front moving in on Egypt and their
      ideas are worrying, because they are reaching so many people so
      fast," said Yehia. "Even some of our Muslim brethren reject
      these radical ideas, so you can imagine how worrying this is as we
      begin to draft our first constitution."

      For many Copts, Shenouda was their voice and their savior.

      "He used to represent the Copts in front of the regime figures,
      nobody could do that but him," said Hanan Fikry, a young
      founding-member of the One Nation for Development and Freedom, a
      non-government organization that pushes for participation of Egyptian
      Christians in the public sphere.

      In the eyes of the Coptic community in Egypt and around the world, this
      was a man who truly loved and cared for the Christian community in
      Egypt, a people who often feel voiceless and vulnerable, struggling to
      be heard.

      "Even if we didn't agree with some of his politics, we can't
      deny his accomplishments, whether representing us in front of the
      Supreme Council of the Armed Forces or the parliament," said Fikry,
      who had slammed the SCAF for their responsibility in the killing of 27
      protesters during an October crackdown on a mostly Coptic demonstration.

      Members of SCAF also attended the Christmas celebrations at the
      Cathedral in January.

      "The country's leaders need to tread lightly now when dealing
      with the Coptic community, because they have become orphans," she
      added.

      But, despite their grief over the loss of Shenouda, who has been
      Egypt's Coptic Pope for the past 40 years, Egypt's Christians
      are hopeful that the patriarch's departure will push more members
      of the community to stand up for their rights.

      "Since after the revolution, the Copts have found their way out of
      the Church and started asking for their rights. The Pope's death
      will make Christians even bolder and braver when demanding their rights
      on their own," said Fikry.

      She was concerned, however, that the SCAF, who respected the Copts out
      of reverence for Pope Shenouda, might turn their backs on the Coptic
      community.

      But for Fikry, the Coptic community itself is changing.

      "We are starting to see ourselves as Egyptians, not just followers
      of the Pope. We saw the [path] to ask for our rights."

      Similarly, Andrew Isaak, a 25-year-old Christian activist and
      filmmaker, hopes that the Pope's departure will encourage Egyptian
      Christians to revolt within the Church against any leader they find
      oppressive or unrepresentative of their concerns.

      "I hope that whoever replaces him never interferes in politics. What
      is being said about the Pope now, regarding his involvement and support
      for the regime should be a warning to the coming Pope of the
      consequences of getting involved in politics," said Isaak.

      He was referring the criticism directed at the late Pope for his
      support of the Mubarak regime. Muslim clerics as well as church leaders
      had advised citizens against participating in the 2011 uprising that
      eventually toppled Mubarak.

      Isaak believes that because Shenouda was a pious leader and a giving
      man who truly loved the Coptic community, his political
      "mistakes" which kept the Christian community quiet for decades
      will not be remembered.

      "He will only be remembered for his good deeds, which are plenty.
      But I want to see the Coptic community go out into the streets and
      demand their rights," he added.

      "I want to see the Coptic Community revolt and demand their own
      rights, not to follow the orders of a religious leader who tells them
      when to protest and when not to speak." –Additional reporting by
      Abdel-Rahman Youssef in Alexandria.
      http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/religion/copts-mourn-pope-shenouda-with-eyes-set-on-unclear-future-dp1.html