Malankara World Journal Issue 61 is available online

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 10:30 AM
      The Malankara World Journal Issue 61 (March 8, 2012) is available online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_61.htm

      We are now about to enter the fourth week of Lent. Time flies, isn't it?
      Next Wednesday (March 14) represents the midpoint of the Holy Lent.
      After the Holy Qurbana on Wednesday, the "Golgotha" will be erected in
      the middle of the church. That cross will be there symbolically in the
      midst of us through the ascension on May 17. We will have more to say
      about this in the next week's edition.

      This Sunday, the Daylight savings time officially starts in the US. This
      is when the clocks "spring forward" an hour. We lose that one hour we
      got when the clocks "fall back" an hour last Fall. Hope that you will
      all be in time for the Holy Qurbana by waking up an hour earlier than
      usual till our body clocks get adjusted to the new time.

      This week, we meditate on Jesus Christ Healing the Canaanite woman's
      daughter. As we recalled last time, the first sign/miracle performed by
      Jesus was in Cana and it was done at the intercession of St. Mary. The
      second one was done at the personal request of the leper. So, this was
      an example of personal prayer. Last week, four friends brings a
      paralyzed person to Jesus. Although they didn't directly ask Jesus (as
      they were on the roof), their action spoke louder than any words, and
      Jesus accepted their intercession and healed the paralyzed person. This
      can be construed as an example of group intercession - like when we pray
      in the church for a person in the hospital, etc.

      This week's example of intercession by the woman for her daughter is an
      illustration of a powerful intercession. She cannot be denied. She won't
      take "no" for an answer! The disciples did everything they could to keep
      her away; but she refused to go away! She knew what she wanted. She had
      no hesitation to pray in public humiliating herself. In the end, Jesus
      relented and grants her prayer. We learn from this that we should be
      persistent in our prayer. We may not get an answer immediately; but if
      we stays with it, our prayers will be answered.

      The need for persistence in prayer (importunity) was illustrated by
      Jesus in Luke 11:5-13. Our Lord has said in Luke 11:9-10

      "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will
      find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks
      receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

      The Canaanite woman asked and she was rewarded.

      This passage is also another illustration that God sometimes can be
      persuaded to change his plan by our prayer with importunity. We saw an
      example of this at the Marriage of Cana. Jesus initially told St. Mary
      that "his time (for signs/miracles) haven't yet come." But he changed
      his mind later and performed the miracle there. When the Canaanite woman
      approaches Jesus, he ignored her and told her that his plan is to
      deliver the gospel to the Jews first and later to the gentiles after his
      death by the disciples. Canaanite woman convinces Jesus that Gentiles
      needs his gospel now rather than later. Jesus, after much persuasion,
      relents and his mission changed immediately. He started preaching
      directly to the Gentiles. Do we need any more proof for the power of prayer?

      ========================

      Table of Contents Issue No: 61

      1. Editor's Note

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (March 11)

      3. Fourth Sunday of Great Lent (Knanaitho/Canaanite woman)

      4. Sermons for This Sunday (March 11)

      5. Fourth Sunday of Great Lent (Knanaitho/Canaanite woman)
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_4th-sunday-in-l\
      ent.htm

      6. Inspiration for Today
      The fruit of the Spirit is love.

      7. Featured This Week: Under the Shadow of the Cross
      It is very important to take a step back from our highly competitive,
      fast-paced, over consuming, rat race and take a second look at ourselves
      and ponder over the meaning of life and where we are headed. Lenten
      season provides an occasion for that. The cross of Jesus Christ and his
      life that led up to it provides a frame for a proper perspective on our
      life and its pre-occupations. ...

      8. Book Excerpt: School of Prayer - Lesson 27: Christ the High Priest
      In His parting address, Jesus gives His disciples the full revelation of
      what the New Life was to be, when once the kingdom of God had come in
      power. In the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, in union with Him the
      heavenly Vine, in their going forth to witness and to suffer for Him,
      they were to find their calling and their blessedness. ...

      9. Seven Ways to Pray During Lent
      Holy Week and Easter are 'big events' in the liturgical year of the
      Church and in the spiritual life of a Christian. So, as Christians, we
      prepare spiritually for these through the Lent. This means that, during
      Lent, we rededicate ourselves to prayer. There are as many ways to pray
      as there are prayers in this world, but a few prayer methods can help us
      in particular to spiritually prepare ourselves during Lent. ...

      10. Life's Greatest Science
      Christians who neglect attendance at the church, or choose to deprive
      themselves of fellowship with other Christians, miss out on life's
      greatest science - learning about God. ...

      11. How Can You Meditate on God’s Word?
      Meditation is a combination of reviewing, repeating, reflecting,
      thinking, analyzing, feeling and even enjoying. It is a physical,
      intellectual and emotional activity—it involves our whole being. ...

      12. Family: Three Marriage Lies
      I know marriage pain and I know marriage redemption. Building a bridge
      between those two realities isn’t easy but it is possible. .. Having a
      good marriage is more about being the right partner than having the
      right partner. ..

      13. Comfort, Challenge
      Too much comfort is dangerous. Literally.

      14. Health: Feeling Traumatized by the World’s Upheaval? Tips for
      Writing Off Emotional Pain
      The unexpected blows experienced by so many Americans during the current
      economic recession have left many dealing with what psychotherapist
      Daniela Roher calls "recession stress disorder" – feelings of
      helplessness, shame and betrayal, headaches, loss of appetite, insomnia,
      depression. ...

      15. Recipe: Chick Pea Coleslaw
      A Lenten favorite

      16. I Choose To Laugh
      Awakened by the phone ringing at 11:35 p.m., I fumble for the receiver
      beside my bed. Who would be calling at this time of night? "Mom, I'm not
      in jail." The voice at the other end belongs to my 21-year-old daughter,
      Rachel. ...

      17. Top Ten Signs That Indicate You Might Be An Orthodox Christian

      18. About Malankara World

      ========================

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World
      Journal online at:

      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Newsletter/MWNews_61.htm

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service