Sermon on the third Sunday of the Graet Lent - 2012

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2012
      3 Sunday of the Great Lent. Jesus heals a paralyzed man

      Gospel Reading: Mark 2:1-12

      “He got up, took his mat and walked in full view of them all.”(Mark 2:12)

      Can we be the homes of transforming the paralyzed into healthy?

      This happened at the house of Peter at Capernaum. The house of Peter is the meeting, resting, residing and welcoming place for Jesus in his mission. When Jesus was in home a paralytic man was brought by 4 people on mat and lowered in front of Jesus by digging a hole through the roof because of the crowd. Seeing their faith Jesus said to the paralytic man: “My child your sins are forgiven.” “Stand up, pick up your mat, and go home.” “The man got up, took his mat and walked away in full view of them all.”

      The most prayer I hear from the people is,”Jesus, don’t put me on bed more than one day as paralytic and make others to nurse, before that please call me to your kingdom.” This cry is really by seeing the callous attitude of dumping the bedridden and contemptuous look on them by the caterers.

      Paralyses are in different forms. That may be like the hardened heart of insensitivity of the sins like Pharaoh the Egyptian king at the time of Moses or the physical. Mental, spiritual, and emotional non reaction to the real needs of the living beings or the realty in total.

      In a house a warming ceremony one Narayanan from Bombay was explaining to me how Jesus was put in trial by the Pharisees by bringing immoral women to be stoned as per their Law. Jesus told them those who have not sinned should stone her. Everyone laid their stones and went away by pricking their conscious of their sins of paralyses. He was telling that there should be a Jesus to convince their sins. There was a Narayanan a Hindu to kindle my consciousness about the real meaning at the context and my sins. Jesus says, “And when He comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment.”(John 16:8) Wherever Jesus stays that individuals and houses are the transforming sources for life giving springs to all paralytic needs of the thirsty.

      Those who are empowered as Peter to cater the need of real thirst of human beings even at the cost of lost of house roof are in dearth. Empowerment of filling the spirit of God needs, the faith, willingness, none caring of the cost, mind of sacrifice and labor, welcoming who practices of His word and those who are always put Jesus in their daily life. Then even the dead man will walk. Where there is Christianity put it in practice there will not be any paralytic. All will walk in front of others.

      Thnakachen with family came to Chennai in the early 1960’s for the treatment of their son Peter , who was partially deaf and dump at birth .This lovely God fearing family always at the receptive of God , his people and its works . The treatment was prolonged so they had decided to do something for their living that they knew and to help the people to alleviate their sorrows. Some way by providing jobs to the unemployed. A tailoring shop they have opened, specialized in Bra in the name of “Angel Foam” The company becomes bigger and bigger with number of units and even manufacturing the Elastic in need for the Bra with more than 1000 employees. It becomes one of the best quality bra companies in India.

      All, whoever knocks at their door for employment they are all absorbed, trained and given living wages more than any other company pays. All most all the ecclesiastical orders of Christian churches and the charities they do in Chennai and other parts of India are liberally enjoyed the flood gate of opening the sluce of love in person, kind, and cash . Nobody is in need to return as they come. Peter the son is healed, married and with a child. After the demise of Thankachen, Omana the beloved wife is at the helm of affairs supported and assisted by Bobby the daughter and Peter the son. Really a house of Peter for the paralytic to stand, pick the mat and go home not as they came but transformed for good

      Let we, our homes, churches be house of St. Peter at Capernaum with empowerment to do the miracles of making the man to stand straight and live a healthy happy vibrant life.

      “Any one who believes in me may come and drink! For the scriptures declare, “Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’’(John 7:38)