Personal Prayer

  • Georgey Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2012
      Personal Prayer

      What is prayer?

      Prayer is the intimate relationship between man and God.

      To be more precise, prayer happens when our spirit interacts with the Spirit of God. Prayer can be loud, silent, occasional or regular. Through prayer we ask God for our personal needs. Along with praising God, it is important that we ask God for our personal needs. Prayer is like the dove that Noah sent forth, which blessed him not only when it returned with an olive-leaf in its mouth, but when it never returned at all.

      We all may have different view points about prayer and how to pray, but the word of God through Hebrews 10:22 clearly tells us how to pray. “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.” That is, we must come to God with the knowledge that we are sinners and submit us completely with reverence to Him. Not only that, when we pray, pray with the faith that He listens to our prayers, and He is able to answer our prayers and to fulfill His promises which are written in the bible. In Matthew 7:7-8, 21:22 and Mark 11:24 we see that “whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” Again in John 14:13-14 and 16:23 we see that anything we ask in the name of Jesus will be given to us. In short, we must always pray the prayer of FAITH not a prayer of consecration. We all know that there is power in the name of Jesus, in His Blood and in His Words, so make it a point to include all three in your prayers.

      There are a lot of examples in the bible which tells us how God answers prayers. Genesis 24:10-20 we see God showing Abrahams servant, the bride to his masters son. The believers in Jerusalem prayed, and God opened the prison doors and set Peter at liberty (Acts 12:1-12). As we saw above, we must believe and pray in faith. In the example of the woman (Mark 5:25-32) who had an issue of blood for twelve years, it is mentioned that 1. she HEARD about Jesus, 2. she BELIEVED that He is able to heal her, 3. CAME looking for him, 4. TOUCHED the hem of His garment in FAITH, 5. she was instantly HEALED, 6. when Jesus realized healing power was released from Him he asked and she CONFESSED it with her mouth. This, I believe is one great example of prayer. First of all we must hear about Jesus, for which we need to read the Word of God. Secondly we must believe in Him that he is able to answer our prayers. Third we must go looking for Him. Fourth, we must touch Him in faith. Fifth, receive our blessings. Sixth, we must confess with our mouth about our blessings so that it will remain in us. By confessing the blessings we received, we not only give thanks to the Lord but also help in strengthening the belief of another person.

      When you are praying for a personal need, be specific in asking. Make sure what you are praying for is something you really need. Don’t start praying for a new car just because your neighbor bought a new one. Pray with faith and tell Jesus I want this and that is the prayer of faith. Jesus said what ever you ask in my name will be given to you. A prayer in which you say “God if it is your will” is a prayer of dedication and consecration. Through such a prayer we find out the will of God in our lives, once we are sure of His will, pray the prayer of faith.

      I believe we must have a certain pattern in our personal prayer. I tried this and found out to be very effective. I am sure if it helped me, it will help you as well. Take some time or arrange some to sit in the presence of the Lord, and start your personal prayer in this manner.

      PRAISE: Think who our Lord is and what He is for you. Sit in a quiet place and say it loud with your mouth.

      WAIT on the LORD: Once you finish praising, sit quietly in his presence and submit yourselves completely.

      REPENT: Tell Him all your faults and defects. Admit you are a sinner and ask for His forgiveness.

      WORD OF GOD: Read the Bible. Look for promises written in that particular reading portion.

      MEDITATE: After bible reading, think about the promise you read and listen how God is speaking to you.

      INTERCESSORY PRAYER: Pray for others, family members, friends, higher authorities in your work place, sick people, those who don’t have jobs, for your country, for the place where you are, the rulers etc. and for anything and anyone who requires prayer which you can think of. See all those people who need prayer with your inner eye and anoint them with the blood of Jesus.

      REQUEST: Put you personal needs to Him.

      THANKSGIVING: Think of all the blessings you have and thank Him.
      SING UNTO THE LORD: Put everything that comes into your heart as a song to the lord. Think of all the blessings and good things. You can include some songs from the book also.

      PRAISE: Think of all your blessings one more time and praise Him for everything.

      I believe, if you can put in 3 minutes for each item, you can have a personal prayer of 30 minutes easily. Try practicing it and see how God will talk to you. You will see greater blessings in your life.

      Georgey Thomas