Spiritual Words.

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 1999 , Feb 29, 2012
      "Not everyone who is naturally gentle, or quiet, or prudent, or meek, has attained to the stature of humility. But he is truly humble of mind who possesses in secret something worthy of pride, and does not pride himself, but in his thought reckons it as dust, earth, and ashes."

      St. Isaac the Syrian.

      "The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them." Psalm 145:18-19.
    • Mark Sadek
      Message 1999 of 1999 , Dec 3 5:13 PM

        "If we regulated our life with a sober mind and directed all of our interest toward spiritual things, and if we ate as much as we needed to satisfy our necessary needs and offered our entire lives to good works, we would not have any need of the help rendered by the fast. But because human nature is indifferent and gives itself over mostly to comforts and gratifications, for this reason the philanthropic Lord, like a loving and caring father, devised the therapy of the fast for us, so that our gratifications would be completely stopped and that our worldly cares be transferred to spiritual works. So, if there are some who have gathered here and who are hindered by somatic ailments and cannot remain without food, I advise them to nullify the somatic ailment and not to deprive themselves from this spiritual teaching, but to care for it even more."

        St. John Chrysostom, On Fasting.

        "Wise people store up knowledge, But the mouth of the foolish is near destruction."  Proverbs 10:14

        The Bible reading for the 25th of Hatour, December 4, is:
        9 Now when He had departed from there, He went into their synagogue. 10 And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?--that they might accuse Him. 11 Then He said to them, What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out? 12 Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. 13 Then He said to the man, Stretch out your hand. And he stretched it out, and it was restored as whole as the other. 14 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him. 15 But when Jesus knew it, He withdrew from there. And great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them all. 16 Yet He warned them not to make Him known, 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: 18 Behold! My Servant whom I have chosen, My Beloved in whom My soul is well pleased! I will put My Spirit upon Him, And He will declare justice to the Gentiles. 19 He will not quarrel nor cry out, Nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets. 20 A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench, Till He sends forth justice to victory; 21 And in His name Gentiles will trust. 22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, Could this be the Son of David? (Matt. 12:9-23)
        Martyrdom of St. Philopater Mercurius Known as the Saint with the Two Swords (Abu-Sefein).

        The Bible reading for the 26th of Hatour, December 5, is: Luke 21:12-19
        Commemoration of the Martyrdom of the Sts. Valerian (Balaryanos) and Tiburcius (Thiborinos), His Brother.
        Commemoration of St. Gregory, Bishop of Nyssa.

        Prayer Requests:

        Awad, L.
        Urgent: Teresa - serious complications from diabetes.
        Jessenia W - Bipolar depression.
        Urgent: Amal - Cancer.
        Tony H. - Cancer.
        C's uncle - Stage 4 cancer.