Nicene Creed - Wrong recitation by Sminary Student Deacons

  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2012
      The following is a message I sent to our Malankara Syrian Orthodox Seminary today

      Kind attention of HG Resident Metropolitan & Very Rev Principal Corepiscopos.

      I have heard, in two separate occasions, two deacons who are studying at our seminary reciting the Nicene Creed in Malayalam making a colossal blunder which in my humble view is a very serious matter. They were heard saying:- "THANNAL (if given in English and tharunnapaksham in Malayalam) sakalathum nirmikkappettavanum .................................................................. sareeriyaayitheernu MANUSHYANAAYA Ponthiyose Peelaatho-sinte ( of Potius Pilet who is a human being) divasangalil " Thus we are asked to confess that Pilet is a MAN (?)

      In the Malayalam prayer books there is a coma after manushyanayi And it is a dot (.) after h'vo baar-noso in Syriac [The Syriac Language,as you are kindly aware, uses the dot (.) to signify a coma (,) in English and in our Malayalam] If this is the condition of the students of our own seminary what will the condition of the deacons who have studied in Protestant Bible Colleges be.| We never hear a priest or a prelate reciting the creed and hence I am not aware what they recite as gehantho

      The Son, who is the Second Person in the Holy Trinity, BECAME MAN / H'VO BAAR NOSO: we confess. Changing the word manushyanaaYI as manushyanaaYA it is nothing but idiocy.

      (2) I hope the Nicene Creed in Syriac, in Malayalam and English is taught threadbare in the seminary. I have a few emendations for the Malayalam form of the creed:

      Saravasakthiyulla pithavayi is to be chaged as Sarvasakthanaaya pithavum

      srushtavaaya to be changed as Srashtaavumaaya

      Sathyamulla eaaka daivathinte Sathya- eaaka -daivathinte

      Mumpil to be changed as Mumpaayi

      Samathwamullavanum is to be changed as onnaayirikkunnavanum

      Thaan mughena nirmikkappettavanum to be changed as thaan mughena sakalavum nirmikkappettu ennavanum

      Moonnaam divasam uyarthezhuneattu swargathileakku to be changed as moonnaam divasam uyarthezhuneattavanum

      Eaakaroohaayilum kaatholikavum ........to be changed as Eaakaroohaayilum njangal viswasikkunnu Kaatholikavum.......

      Eaattuparanju to be modified as eaattuparayunnu

      Kuriye-laysone to be changed as Kurri-elaysone.

      3 Even if you are not considering the contents of paragraph 2 above I hope the first paragraph will be taken up immediately

      With respectful regards

      V T John,
      Vattachaal-Vadakkethil,
      ID 3085
    • Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2012
        Dear Sri John & Other members,

        I have tried to correct some altar boys reciting much serious mistakes. 'thante rajyathinu avasaramillathavanumaya (Avasanam changed to avasaram)'. Also some boys are reciting thaanal instead of thannal. Priests, senior laity and sunday school teachers should take immediate steps to rectify these errors. The meaning of malayalam words are not understood by the present young generation because of English medium education.

        In HIS Love,

        Johnson