Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Feb 29, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      Bible verse: “But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.” (1 Timothy 6:8)

      Is it painful to part with your favourite things?

      Our happiness is rooted in the spirit of God and the hope of eternity with a resurrected body beyond this materialistic world. So no one should get attached to the ecstatic bliss, satisfaction, contentment and joy from worldly accumulations. Actually, real happiness comes from having a reasonable amount of wealth required to live a decent life because contentment is the key to happiness. Sharing our fortunes with others ensures us of our place in the eternal kingdom of God - the garden of joy. Today's world is intoxicated with greed and enjoyment. The fear of being deprived and being unhappy make people cling on to their worldly possessions without sharing it with others. So, we are left with a very competitive society whose main priority is to increase wealth. It’s a vicious and dangerous trap set by Satan and it will be prudent not to fall into it. If we have become a prey to it, then we need to quickly come out of it.

      At the beginning of Lent, my daughter was asking everyone in the family to part with one item that they loved most till Easter. She was ready to give up ice cream and we also named one thing that we would give up too. Then, she added that dad and mom need to be away from each other. When asked why, she said, “Both of you are in love and your most loved items are each other."

      Socrates led a very frugal life; yet he would go to the shops to look at all the wares on display. When one of his friend asked why, Socrates said, "I love to go there and discover how many things I am perfectly happy without.”

      Spirituality is not knowing what you want but understanding what you do not need.

      Prayer: Jesus, let us learn to be content with what we have and not aspire for too much wealth. Let us have the mind to part and share our fortunes with the most needy. Let us focus more on accumulating spiritual goodness than materialistic wealth for our eternity and happiness. We pray for all those who are in pursuit of immortality and the kingdom of God. Let Lent be the season to live as you want us to, a life based on your principles of love and sacrifice for spiritual growth. All we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

      Paulose Achen
      Thursday, 1st March 2012
    • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
      Message 442 of 442 , Oct 16, 2012