Sermon of the Week from Malankara World - Garbo - Leper Sunday

  • Dr. Jacob Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2012
      Sermon of the Week from Malankara World - Second Sunday of Great Lent -
      Leper's Sunday (Feb 26)

      by Rev. Fr. V.V. Paulose, Malankara World Board Member

      Gospel: Luke 5:12-16

      Jesus reached out and touched him. "I'm willing," he said. "Be healed!"
      And instantly the leprosy disappeared. (Luke: 5:13)

      Immunity for all types of sickness is embedded in the loving touch of
      human hands. By distancing ourselves from others, we are prone to all
      types of illnesses - mental, spiritual, physical and emotional.
      Individuals are creating their own islands of seclusion and becoming
      mechanical machines.

      Earlier, leprosy was a feared disease because there was no known cure
      for it, and some forms were highly contagious. Its impact was very
      fearsome and terrible. Now though leprosy is curable, people still
      consider lepers as untouchables. Jesus heard the cries of the leper and
      He reached out and touched him. Immediately the leprosy disappeared.

      We now have a number of illnesses, some of them undiagnosed and some
      even more terrifying than leprosy. We live in a society where people are
      unloved and uncared for - the sick, the old, parents, children etc.
      There are millions in pain longing for a word of love or a caring touch.
      We are in dire need for the great, compassionate and loving Jesus to
      reach out and touch us with the words of "I am willing and be healed."
      Who is there to listen and act? Everyone is busy with their work and lives.

      We do not reach out to others in their times of need or sickness. But
      didn't God create human beings in his own image to act for him? Like
      what God did for the leper, we are supposed to help others when they are
      sick and need assistance. There is healing power in all our hands if we
      use it with love to embrace the unloved and the uncared.

      Our homes, families and churches are in desperate need of the touch of
      Christ. Pastor Rick Warren writes his living experience of the power of
      touch, "I recently got this note on a registration card: 'Pastor Rick, I
      can’t tell you what it mean to me in comfort today. I felt as though
      Jesus was hugging me in such compassion and tenderness. I now know I
      will make it through this scary time and I know he sent you to help me.
      It's wonderful that there is such care and love in this church. Thank
      you.' I had no idea when I had hugged her. She was going in for breast
      cancer surgery the next day.'

      Why cannot our priests, bishops, parents, siblings and friends express
      their love and care through their compassionate eyes, caring hands,
      soothing words, meaningful actions, and the body as a whole, and not
      with pastoral staff, gold, steel, silver or wooden crosses? We are all
      in need of warm hugs from loved ones; this is especially true in case of
      those suffering from terminal illnesses who feel they have nothing to
      hope for.

      Can you be the one to show your love and tell them that Jesus cares and
      an eternal life awaits them?

      [Rev. V. V. Paulose is with the Jerusalem Christian Mission in Toronto,
      Canada]

      You can find more sermons, bible analyses, and bible commentaries on
      Leper's Sunday (Luke 5:12-16) in Malankara World at:
      http://www.malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-in-L\
      ent.htm

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew