Our Daily Bread; More, More More

  • Very Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moola
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2012
      READ: Philippians 4:10-20

      I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. —Philippians 4:11

      Now that my daughter is learning to talk, she has adopted a favorite word: more. She will say more� and point to toast with jam. She held out her palm and said More� when my husband gave her some coins for her piggy bank. She even exclaimed, More Daddy� one morning after her father left for work.

      Like my little one, many of us look around and call for more. Unfortunately, enough is never enough. We need the power of Christ to break the cycle so that we can say with Paul, I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content� (Phil. 4:11).

      The phrase I have learned� tells me that Paul did not meet every situation with a smile. Learning contentment required practice. His testimony included ups and downs ranging from snake bites to soul-saving; false accusations to founding churches. Yet he claimed that Jesus was the answer to soul-level satisfaction. He said, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me� (v.13). Jesus had given him the spiritual muscle to endure lean times and to avoid the pitfalls of abundance.

      If you find yourself angling for more, more, more, remember that contentment comes when you have more� of Christ. Jennifer Benson Schuldt

      Fret not for want of earthly things;
      They'll never satisfy.
      The secret of contentment is
      To let the Lord supply. D. De Haan

      True contentment is not dependent on anything in this world.