Our Daily Bread: Flawed

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2012
      READ: Genesis 27:6-23

      My strength is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9

      A well-known actor commented that he enjoyed playing lawed� characters in movies because people could relate better to an imperfect character. Most of us would agree that it's easier for us to understand people who aren't perfect because we know that we are imperfect.

      God included stories in the Bible of people who were deceitful, weak, unreliable, and angry. Take Jacob, for example, who deceived his father so that he would receive a blessing (Gen. 27:1-29). Then there was Gideon, who was so unsure of God that he asked Him twice for proof that He would be faithful to do what He said He would do (Judg. 6:39). And then there’s Peter, who for fear of his own safety, denied even
      knowing his friend and Lord (Mark 14:66-72).

      But when we read the rest of their stories, we observe that these people were able, with God's help, to overcome their shortcomings and ultimately be useful to Him. That happened when they depended not on themselves but on God.

      Just like the people who lived thousands of years ago, each of us comes with flaws. But by God's grace we can overcome those imperfections by embracing His strength [which] is made perfect in weakness” (2 Cor. 12:9). Cindy Hess Kasper

      God's strength is made perfect in weakness,
      For when we are weak He is strong;
      He gives us His grace and His power
      To overcome in us what's wrong. Sper

      It's good to learn of our weakness if it drives us to lean on God's strength.