John Chrysostom

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
      How did the beast contain Jonah in its belly, without his perishing? Is the
      creature void of reason, and it's motions without control? How did it spare the
      righteous man? How was it that the heat did not suffocate him? How was it that
      it putrefied him not? For if to be in the deep only is past contriving, then
      certainly to be in both the creature's bowels and in that heat is very far more
      unaccountable. How did he breathe air in that place and he did the respiration
      suffice for two creatures? And how did it also vomit him forth unharmed? And how
      too did he speak? And how too was he self-possessed, and prayed? Are not these
      things incredible? If we test them by reasonings, they are incredible, if by
      faith, they are exceeding credible.

      John Chrysostom, Homily on Colossians
      From: The Lives of the Holy Prophets
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2012
        At length the season moves towards the Lent of the Great Fast, and therefore, we ought the more earnestly devote ourselves to holiness.

        John Chrysostom, Sermon on the Preparation for Great Lent
        From: Daily Lenten Meditations for Orthodox Christians
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14023819/daily-lenten-meditations-for-the-orthodox

        Also available as part of our 3 volume Lenten Special
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14023873/lenten-special-3-volumes
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2012
          If you pardon from the heart, and sincerely, God in like manner also pardons you.

          John Chrysostom, Sermon on the Preparation for Great Lent
          From: Daily Lenten Meditations for Orthodox Christians
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 30, 2012
            Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

            The sea is surging and the waves are high; but we have nothing to fear because we stand on a rock – the rock of faith.

            John Chrysostom
            From: On Living Simply
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/8068345/on-living-simply
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 13, 2012
              Some people, if they stumble at all, or are slandered by anyone or fall ill with a chronic disease, gout, or headache or such ailment, at once begin to blaspheme. They submit to the pain of the disease, but deprive themselves of the benefit. What are you doing, man blaspheming your benefactor, savior, protector, and guardian? Or do you not see that you are falling down a cliff and casting yourself into the pit of final destruction? You do not make your suffering lighter, do you, if you blaspheme? Indeed you aggravate it, and make your distress more grievous. For the devil brings a multitude of misfortunes for this
              purpose, to lead you down into that pit.

              John Chrysostom, on Wealth and Poverty, Third Sermon on Lazarus and the Rich Man

              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332981/on-wealth-and-poverty-john-chrysostom
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 26, 2012
                Let everything take second place to our care of our children, our bringing them
                up to the discipline and instruction of the Lord. If from the beginning we
                teach them to love true wisdom, they will have great wealth and glory than
                riches can provide. If a child learns a trade, or is highly educated for a
                lucrative profession, all this is nothing compared to the art of detachment
                from riches; if you want to make your child rich, teach him this. He is truly
                rich who does not desire great possessions, or surround himself with wealth,
                but who requires nothing…Don’t think that only monks need to learn the Bible;
                Children about to go our into the world stand in greater need of Scriptural
                knowledge.

                John Chrysostom, Homilies on Ephesians, Homily 21
                On Marriage and Family Life
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332888/on-marriage-and-family-life-john-chrysostom
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 12, 2012
                  The priest is standing before the Holy Gate and exclaims: ‘Let us attend ...’,
                  many times in fact. However, this entreaty is the voice of the Church but most
                  people do not pay attention to it...‘Let us attend...’, ‘let us attend...’, and
                  no one attends.

                  Many say: We will hear the same things again... again and again.

                  Others again say: We do not understand anything they say...
                  How dare you say that whatever it is they read it is always the same, for you
                  know neither the names of the Prophets, nor the names of the Apostles, nor the
                  names of the Evangelists?

                  And again, how do you dare say that you do not understand
                  the sacred texts of the Readings during the Diving Liturgy,
                  when you do not study them at home at all? . . .

                  In order for us not to be ‘judged’, let us attend! Let us attend! Let us be
                  attentive!
                  ~ St. John Chrysostom

                  Protopresbyter Stephanos K Anagnostopoulos, Experiences During the Divine
                  Liturgy
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/9775835/experiences-during-the-divine-liturgy
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                    Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                    Adorn your face, therefore, with modesty, piety, almsgiving, benevolence, love,
                    kindliness towards your husband, reasonableness, mildness, and forbearance.
                    These are the pigments of virtue; by these you draw not men but angels to you as
                    your lovers; for these you have God Himself to praise you. When God shall
                    approve of you, He will win over your husband to you in every way; for if wisdom
                    illumines the face of man, much more does virtue make the face of a woman shine
                    forth.

                    John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions, The True Adornment of Women
                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2358746/baptismal-instruction-john-chrysostom