Our Daily Bread: Glorifying God in Life and Death

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2012
      READ: John 21:12-19

      This [Jesus] spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. John 21:19

      It seems we most often think about how we can glorify God through our lives when we are active and strong. But I wonder if we should also consider how we might glorify God through our death.

      After Peter denied Jesus three times (John 18:15-27), the Lord gave him an opportunity to reaffirm his love (21:15-17). Three times, Jesus asked, Peter, do you love Me?� Then in a surprising change of subject, Jesus said: When you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish. This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, Follow Me� (vv.18-19). Jesus told Peter that others would take him where he didn't want to go, yet by that unchosen way of dying, he would glorify God.

      Paul said that it was his earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death (Phil. 1:20).

      We can bring honor and glory to God as we liveand as we die. David McCasland

      Lord, I want to bring You and Your name praise
      in my daily life till the end. May I glorify You
      even in the valley of the shadow as I pass from
      this life into the next. Amen.
      You are one of a kind designed to glorify God as only you can.