Our Daily Bread: Great is Your Reward

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2012
      READ: Matthew 6:1-6,16-18

      Your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly. Matthew 6:4

      Many businesses have points programs� that offer rewards to loyal customers. You can stack up these rewards by using their companies services, like eating at local restaurants, staying at certain hotels, or flying on particular airlines. Choosing to spend your money this way makes a lot of sense.

      God has a rewards program as well. Jesus often spoke of His desire to reward us for loyally serving Him. When we are persecuted for His sake, for example, He says to rejoice . . . for great is your reward in heaven� (Matt. 5:12). In contrast to the Pharisees pious habit of giving, praying, and fasting in public, Jesus instructed us to do these things privately, because your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly� (6:4,6,18). When it comes to living for Jesus, faithfulness never ultimately puts your life in a deficit position, regardless of what it costs.

      But we don't serve Jesus for the rewards. When He died for us on the cross, He did far more for us than we deserve. Loyalty to Him is an act of worship that expresses our loving gratitude for His love toward us. In return, He delights to encourage us with the assurance that ultimately His rewards will outweigh whatever we have given up for Him.

      Live for Jesus regardless of the cost. Joe Stowell

      Our service for the Lord will be
      Rewarded one day openly,
      By God who sees in secrecy
      All sacrifice for Him. Sper

      What is done for Christ in this life will be rewarded in the life to come.