Love your enemies, ........ pray for those who persecute you

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2012
      Love your enemies, ........ pray for those who persecute you.

      Matt. 5:43 48: You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren [only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. [Matt: 5:43, see Lev. 19:18. Though there was no specific commandment to hate the enemy, this teaching was common.]

      Grant us faith, O Lord,

      That we may be a partaker of the Father's perfection:

      Forgiving love: To pray for and bless

      Any that seem unloving or unkind toward us ,

      And commit to you all my past feelings of hurt,

      And bless all who were involved.

      we ask for the Spirit of forgiving love that was in you, Lord,

      As you prayed in pain for those who crucified you. Amen.

      Forgiving love is the seed of perfection. It grows until there is a perfect expression of God’s nature through the disciple who walks in forgiving love.

      Jesus simplified and summarized the doctrine of perfection in just five short verses, Matt. 5:44-48.

      Love your enemies� is a new teaching, not found in the Old Testament. Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. Exceedingly glorious words indeed! Unexplainable, but absolutely believable because of the One who uttered them. Forgiving love � loving your enemies, blessing them, doing good to them, and praying for them - is a fire that would consume all evil in our nature. It is a virtue that enfolds all other virtues. Read Luke 23:43, and see how Jesus loved those who crucified Him: Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” Note how kindly the Lord judged them. Lord, may forgiving love rule my life and guide our thoughts and prayers. Amen.

      Thankful for your prayers,

      Shibu Podiyan
      Washington DC