Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Jan 27, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      Bible verse: "For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to us who are being saved , it is the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:18)

      Does it make any sense to resign from a high profile job to serve the unfortunate?

      There are two value systems: the world and God. One is eternal and ecstatic while the other is temporal and hopeless. Man is created for eternity and heavenly joy. There is light, beauty, peace, love and holiness in following the word of the Cross. Both the beneficiary and the benefactor are simultaneously blessed and happy by serving the hapless. We are here to serve and not to be served.

      Jesus, the perfect God descended on earth to be the strength and support for the sinful and weak people so that they could elevated to eternal bliss. He did so by his crucifixion. This is viewed as utter foolishness in our modern world. St. Paul says, “For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom and weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.” (1 Corinthians 1:25). Still, after 2000 years, Jesus is the only hope for mankind.

      Jean Vanier is the founder of L’Arche Homes for the mentally disabled. He is the brilliant son of a Canadian Governor General. He recruits skilled workers to serve and live among the unfortunate people whose IQs register in the low double digits. He says that people often look upon him as mad. Vanier shrugs this off by saying he would rather be crazy and follow the foolishness of the Gospel than the senseless values of our world. He insists that those who serve people with special needs benefit as much as the ones whom they are helping. Even the most disabled respond instinctively to love, and in so doing, they awaken what is most important in human beings: compassion, generosity, humility and love. Paradoxically, they replenish life in the very helpers who serve them.

      Prayer: Jesus, the friend of sinners and the disabled, help us to get up from our mirth of sin and disabilities. You are our only light, power and hope. Let us have an inner eye to perceive the eternal values of sacrifice, compassion, humility, abstinence and patience. We pray for all those beautiful people like Jean Vanier and also for all who are being served. All we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      www.jerusalemchristianmission.com
      Saturday, 28th January 2012