Our Daily Bread: Longing for Home

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2012
      READ: Philippians 1:21-30

      I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. —Philippians 1:23

      When our son Stephen was a youngster, he went away for a week at a Christian summer camp. Later that week, we got a letter from him that was
      addressed to “Mom and Dad Crowder” and simply said, “Please come and
      take me home today.” What his child’s mind couldn’t comprehend, of
      course, was that it would be days before we got his letter and more time before we could come for him. All his young heart knew was that he
      longed for home and for Mom and Dad—and that can be tough for a child.
      Sometimes we can be like Stephen as we think about this world. It’s easy to think longingly about being with Jesus and begin to wish we could go to
      our “eternal home” (Eccl. 12:5) where we will “be with Christ” (Phil.
      1:23). As God’s children (John 1:12), we know that this world will never truly be home to us. Like the apostle Paul, we especially feel that way when the struggles of life are hard. While in Rome awaiting trial, Paul wrote, “I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart
      and be with Christ, which is far better” (Phil. 1:23). He loved serving
      Christ, but a part of him longed to be with the Savior.
      It’s comforting to know that we can think ahead to being with Jesus—in a home that is far better. —Bill Crowder
      To see His face, this is my
      goal;
      The deepest longing of my soul;
      Through storm and stress my path I’ll trace
      Till, satisfied, I see His face! —Chisholm
      There is no place like home—especially when home is heaven.