Re: Metropolitan Ordination on 02 and 15 January 2012.

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2011
      My hearty congratulations and prayers to the newly ordained Rabbans. I wish them all the best for their Episcopal ordination.
      While I am happy for the new Bishops that we are going to get, I would like to understand some questions better.
      1) Which diocese are these Bishops going to shepherd? Or will they be assigned a diocese only after they are ordained?
      2) What is the procedure for electing a Bishop according to the 2002 Constitution? I checked the 2002 Constitution and found the only reference to Bishop election are in Section 247 and Section 141-147. The scanned copy of these sections are at:

      http://tinyurl.com/bnq72xj
      http://tinyurl.com/clxmmml

      English Translation of these sections:

      247: "The Bishops that are required for the Jacobite Syrian Christian Church should be elected and ordained as per sections 141 to 147."

      141: "When the position of diocesan Bishop becomes vacant, the Metropolitan Trustee should assume the administrative responsibility of the diocese; and as soon as possible the Diocesan General Body Meeting summoned and an election to the post of diocesan Bishop should be conducted."

      142: "The name of person so elected as per 141, should be then submitted to the local (aka Malankara) Synod for approval.

      143: "The name of the person so elected as per 141 and approved by the local synod as per 142, then should be submitted to the Patriarch and for his approval and blessing.

      So in short, section 247 only allows a person elected as per 141, 142 and 143 to be ordained as a Bishop. As per 141, only a Diocesan General Body Meeting can elect a Bishop for a diocese. As far as I could see, there is no provision to first ordain a Bishop and then assign him a diocese. Did I miss something? Can anyone point me to the relevant section in the constitution?

      If that is the case, which all Diocesan General Body Meetings have elected these 4 Bishop candidates as per section 141?

      If we have a constitution, lets follow it. If we are not going to follow it, then let us throw it in the dust bin. We should love and respect our clergy; but at the same time we should demand better transparency.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M