Our Daily Bread: Grace-Filled Waiting

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2011
      READ: 2 Corinthians 4:7-18

      We do not lose heart. —2 Corinthians 4:16

      Roger lost his job due to the company being downsized. For months he
      searched, applied for jobs, prayed, asked others to pray, and trusted
      God. Roger and his wife Jerrie’s emotions fluctuated though. They saw
      God provide for them in unexpected ways and experienced His grace, but
      sometimes they worried that a job would never come. For 15 long months,
      they waited.
      Then Roger had three interviews with a company, and a week later the
      employment agency called and said, “Have you heard the saying,
      ‘Sometimes clouds have a silver lining’? Well, you’ve got the job!”
      Jerrie told me later, “We wouldn’t trade this hard experience for
      anything. It brought us closer together and closer to the Lord.” Friends who had prayed rejoiced and gave thanks to God.
      Paul wanted the Corinthian church to see the grace of God at work in his
      life, which could cause “thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God” (2
      Cor. 4:15). His trials were so severe that he was “hard pressed on every side,” “perplexed,” “persecuted,” and “struck down” (vv.8-9). Yet he
      encouraged the people not to lose heart in troubles (v.16) but to trust
      God. During our difficulties, we can be drawn nearer to God and others,
      as Roger and Jerrie experienced, and praise will go to the Lord for His
      grace. —Anne Cetas
      Thank the Lord when trouble comes,
      His love and grace expressing;
      Grateful praise releases faith,
      Turns trials into blessing. —Egner
      There’s no better time to praise God than right now.