Our Daily Bread: Now is the Time

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2011
      READ: Luke 2:8-20

      Glory to God in the highest! —Luke 2:14

      During our church’s Christmas celebration, I watched the choir members
      assemble in front of the congregation while the music director rifled
      through papers on a slim black stand. The instruments began, and the
      singers launched into a well-known song that started with these words:
      “Come, now is the time to worship.”
      Although I expected to hear a time-honored Christmas carol, I smiled at the
      appropriate choice of music. Earlier that week I had been reading Luke’s account of Jesus’ birth, and I noticed that the first Christmas lacked
      our modern-day parties, gifts, and feasting—but it did include worship.
      After the angel announced Jesus’ birth to some wide-eyed shepherds, a chorus
      of angels began “praising God and saying: ‘Glory to God in the
      highest!’” (Luke 2:13-14). The shepherds responded by running to
      Bethlehem where they found the newborn King lying in a barnyard
      bassinet. They returned to their fields “glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen” (v.20). Coming face to
      face with the Son inspired the shepherds to worship the Father.
      Today, consider your response to Jesus’ arrival on earth. Is there room for
      worship in your heart on this day that celebrates His birth? —Jennifer
      Benson Schuldt
      Grant us, Father, hearts of worship
      At this time of Jesus’ birth;
      We would see anew His glory
      Shine throughout this sin-cursed earth. —D. De Haan
      Heaven’s choir came down to sing when heaven’s King came down to save.